News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Side to side there's plenty of room, it's the front to rear where you have to get creative for a proper cooling system. They do look like  they were made for a 429-460 don't they.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

Quote from: billd5string on 2017-07-16 14:47
My motor mounts aren't quite right.  :003:
Looks great!  Keep the engine low and back against the firewall.  You'll quickly run out of room.  Early 429s used a short water pump.  It was only 3/4" +/- but only if you have companion pulleys and brackets. 

billd5string

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-07-16 16:33
Looks great!  Keep the engine low and back against the firewall.  You'll quickly run out of room.  Early 429s used a short water pump.  It was only 3/4" +/- but only if you have companion pulleys and brackets.

Thanks! A few weeks ago, I bought a couple 429 pulleys on eBay one from a 69, the other a 70. I think I got an alternator bracket as well. Is that early enough? And I didn't know that the water pump was also different. Thanks for the information.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

rmk57

I have the short C8SE water pump, but a mix of late 60's early 70's brackets. It's easy enough to make spacers to get the alignment right. The short water pump was used on 68-69 T-birds and Boss 429 Mustangs which makes them a little pricey these days.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

billd5string

Quote from: rmk57 on 2017-07-16 16:53
I have the short C8SE water pump, but a mix of late 60's early 70's brackets. It's easy enough to make spacers to get the alignment right. The short water pump was used on 68-69 T-birds and Boss 429 Mustangs which makes them a little pricey these days.

Thanks - I will add that to my list of parts to search for.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

gasman826

They are repopped.  Doesn't help the price though.

Jeff Norwell

Looks great Bill..... Not sure if you mentioned this.. what exhaust manifolds are you using?.. stockers or a header?..Are you using a 58 or later steering box?.... looks really awesome Bill!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

billd5string

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2017-07-18 07:47
Looks great Bill..... Not sure if you mentioned this.. what exhaust manifolds are you using?.. stockers or a header?..Are you using a 58 or later steering box?.... looks really awesome Bill!

Thanks Jeff! I haven't gotten anything for the exhaust yet. I am thinking about getting some hedman shorty headers (89230). I talked to FPA, but I'm not too happy about spending $700 for a bare set. I suppose I wouldn't be as concerned if I knew positively they would work with everything else already. I've converted over to a Cavalier rack and pinion steering.

Bill
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

Jeff Norwell

Yea.700 plus can get expensive....I am quite sure Gasman has much more knowledge on this than i do(or other members as well!).....I have a 58 box in mine with the factory casts.... and they fit... but it's tight.
Anyhow..You will enjoy the 460 and it's torque!

gasman826

460 headers in '57-'64 chassis is a tough call.  All my research is near 10 years old.  If someone has a bolt-in, I have not heard of it.  One problem is real estate...there isn't any extra.  There are several motor mount choices.  If someone says their header fits, ask for the mounts used, cross member used, oil pan used, etc.  When I was shopping, FPA said they had customers with this combo but couldn't share which mounts were used.  Crities were happy to supply headers.  After more questioning they admitted with their mounts, oh ya, their cross-member, and oh ya...a whole list of proprietary accessory pieces.  Mad Dog Headers still makes the 460/57 header it supplied Crities until they knocked it off.  I did not care for the Mad Dog Header because of the '60s low hanging style.  My headers are custom Mad Dog fenderwells.  Pricey but so is any one of a kind, custom accessory but the cool factor...If I was to do it again.  I would get a good set of 460 flanges and buy a set of Speedway's '57 Chevy big block fenderwell headers and make them fit.  If no go on the fenderwell and go with under chassis exit, I would buy a set of cheap, stainless shorties off eBay and some stainless bends and make them fit.  If you want out-of-the-box-fit, keep looking for someone with 460 in a '57-64 chassis.  OEM manifolds will fit now that you have the R&P upgrade.

billd5string

I love the look of those fender well headers. That would be really cool, but I don't want to modify (or eliminate) my inner fenders.... although I might change my mind later because i do think they are extremely cool.

You mentioned the ebay stainless steel cheapo headers... I was also thinking about that path figuring that my engine, transmission (which I don't have one yet) and steering are all different from stock so I'll need to assume I'll have to make it myself or have it custom made anyway. I have also been thinking about factory cast like Jeff has, but in general, even on a stock motor factory manifolds usually don't flow well, and my motor isn't stock. But this is my first 460, maybe the stock manifolds flow better than other cast iron manifolds I've had in the past.

My other big challenge - it is averaging 115 degrees here these days. Even after the sun goes down, it's still 105 out... and the car isn't in the shade this time of year. But I'm loving working on this car, I think it's saving my sanity. So I will just keep limiting my time to weekends from sunrise until 8 or 9 AM at the latest.

Thanks for all the advise guys, I do really appreciate it. I could not have gotten anything close to this far without this forum.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

gasman826

429 CJ manifolds fit and flow better than other 460 manifolds.  Not likely cheap but maybe someone would loan you a set.

Jeff Norwell

Bill.. just to show the fit and tightness... these are the stock Manifolds in my car.... not pretty. but just to show how close they fit....

drivers side and a C/U of the 58 box and manifold.

Jeff Norwell

Pass. side

gasman826

Boy!!!!  That picture brought back memories of my first 460 in a '57.  I was trying to use passenger car manifolds.  They fit like they were made for it.  Except right at the steering box.  I loosened everything and pried the engine toward the left side.  I finally ground the manifold to get 3/16" clearance.  It never rattled!  Still have the exhaust pipes and mufflers!