News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Element for stock air cleaner

Started by ROKuberski, 2015-11-09 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

Your external adjusting needle and seats may be holding it up.

Ron.

ROKuberski

Hmmm, my filter is in a white box with a Fram label, but it fits well.

One thing I did have to do is manufacture a new center hold down bolt.  It's 3/8" down from the top of the carb and 1/4" up to the top of the filter cover.  The one on my original setup was about1/2" to short.

Rich

SkylinerRon

Try the old modeling clay trick. Spread some across the top of the
bowls and put the air cleaner can on to see where the interfernce is.

Ron.

hiball3985

Rich, was the Fram filter you got orange like the original Frams or black like the Wix? The problem I'm having with the Wix type is the diameter. It leaves approximately a 1/16" gap between the filter and the body at the top. The old style Frams sealed that area where you put the top on..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

My filter is black.  When I got the air filter housing, it had an original orange filter in it.  The rubber was petrified, seal was hard as a rock.  I had to chisel it out.  I am not familiar with how the originals fit, but it seemed like this one fit pretty well.  Now that you mention it, the top seal does not overlap onto the edge of the filter housing.  There is a very small gap, but this will not affect how it works.  Any air that leaks around the seal still has to go through the filter element.   I'm just happy to finally have the right filter housing.

Rich

hiball3985

Thats what I noticed, it doesn't overlap and seal like the original. It won't hurt anything I'm just being picky  :003: I noticed when I pulled mine out all the dirt on the filter was around the top 1".  I'm still going to look for an old orange Fram that seals..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang