News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake lights

Started by JimNolan, 2015-12-04 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

I had a problem with my brake lights, one or the other would be out sometimes. I checked bulbs and grounds and sometimes when I got ready to work on them they'd start working again by themselves. Well, this week a guy stopped me at a light and said you got a left brake light out. It dawned on me that I'd just made a right hand turn. I jiggled the turn lever and it moved up a little. When I got home I had Connie tell me if my brake lights worked after I used the self cancelling function of the turn signals. Sure enough, the lever wasn't returning all the way to the middle. It was enough to turn the turn signal off but not enough to close the circuit so the brake light would work.
Took the steering wheel off and sprayed silicone lubricant all over everything and the lever snaps back into the middle position perfectly now. I can't ever remember lubricating it before. Just thought you guys might like this information, especially if you are chasing a brake light problem. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

Jim had the exact same problem with the Ranchwagon!  Exact same fix....good job!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Good info, Jim. I'm not having a brake light problem, but I do have a slightly sticky turn indicator. It's not a '57, 40 years newer but probably could use a little lubrication/cleaning.
I just finished installing the '55 shocks on my car 10 minutes ago, btw. Thanks again for the tip on that. I can't believe I had them on in 20 minutes....something must be wrong somewhere, lol. Nothing on my car is ever that easy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-12-04 21:25
Good info, Jim. I'm not having a brake light problem, but I do have a slightly sticky turn indicator. It's not a '57, 40 years newer but probably could use a little lubrication/cleaning.
I just finished installing the '55 shocks on my car 10 minutes ago, btw. Thanks again for the tip on that. I can't believe I had them on in 20 minutes....something must be wrong somewhere, lol. Nothing on my car is ever that easy.
Rich, if you've got wide tires and stock wheel wells you'll thank me when you jack the car up to take the tire off. I have no idea why they every put such a limited travel shock on a 57 to begin with.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-12-04 21:25
Rich, can you get real specific as exactly what shocks you installed. As I recall, Jim used '55 or '56  Ford shocks, but I'd be interested in exactly what you purchased ( Part #? ) and from whom, if bought them on line.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

John...fronts (not installed yet)..KYB KG4515 2 @ 33.79 ea =67.58
    rears Monroe 31125 (just a std. '55 shock)2 @ 15.33 ea = 30.66
                                                                     shipping          8.09
                                                                      total            106.33
Ordered from Rockauto.com at 3 pm Friday, received Monday!! The front shocks were what some members were using and recommended..can't remember who...Jim/Hiball??
The rear Monroe shocks were just as Jim Nolan posted. I was surprised to see they are made in USA.

geraldchainsaw

i must have missed the post about the diff shocks by Jim Noland,  over the years i remember taking off the rear tires and having problems,   tell me where the post is,        also,  that was good info on the turn signals,  i get  tired of holding the arm making a right hand turn,   thanks    jerry

JimNolan

Hey, tell me about the KYB KG4515 front shock. Never heard anything about it before. What's the scoop.

RICH MUISE

Jerry...I can kill two birds with one stone on this one...heres a thread I had saved that started by quoting Jim's old thread on the rear shocks. and Jim...it went on to talk about the kyb front shocks.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5973.0

hiball3985

I've got 3500 miles on the KYB so far so good.. Gabriels on the rear now have almost 6000 with no problem..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

Rich, I gotta thank you for this information on rear air shocks. I didn't know the other thread existed. The Monroe 31125 rear shock specs are about the same as the MA739 Monroe Air Shocks. I had a set of Gabriel Air shocks on it once and it wouldn't let you change a tire any better than the original shocks so I took them off. The information you directed me to hooked me up on them. The Gabriel's from what I remembered had to have a minimum of 50Lbs in it and I was scared I'd beat my cross mount to death with them. These MA739 air shocks will work with 20-150 lb of air in them. I run air shocks on my 63 and love them. When we take trips I can load the trunk down and keep the car level, but, the 63 has a stronger shock mount than a 57. Sooooo, I just ordered the KG4515 and the MA739 shocks from Rock Auto. $130 counting shipping. I'm happy, thanks again for all this information.

JimNolan

The KYB KG4515 shock doesn't fit a 57 Ford. I cut a slot out of each mounting tab, used big washers and mounted them anyway. They are stiff and you can't compress them by hand. I want to see how they ride and I might try to find gas filled shocks that fit. Very unhappy to say the least.

Zapato

Jim, aren't those shocks gas assist? Was the shock tied closed with a string that needed to be cut for install ? If so that would explain why you couldn't compress them by hand. Have used kybs for years and ride was always firm but not harsh.

Guess you'll know more after you take car out for a spin.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

These are pretty stiff, like Jim said, can't be compressed by hand. I knew before I ordered them I'd probably have to slot the mounting piece. The only thing I was guessing wrongly at, was I thought they were adjustable shocks ...misled by the name GAS-A-JUST. Apparently they are "self adjusting to road conditions. Here's a KYB video on their shocks in general, including these.
I'm real anxious to find out how they perform for you, Jim. Hope they're ok after I led you in that direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwBro7HTn4&feature=youtu.be&rel=0&showinfo=0&modestbranding=1

hiball3985

Yes, they are gas shocks. I cut the bands and let them expand before installing, they are stiff but can be compressed by hand, eat more Wheaties  :003: I wish they were adjustable like the old Gabriel adjustable E's, I don't know about auto adjust, sounds like a sales gimmick.

I'm really happy with mine, car handles great
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang