What Rear Shocks are available for Rancheros and Wagons?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-12-14 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

so just out of curiosity, since am away from my parts manuals, what is the shock configuration? double stud, double eye, one of each or slotted t bracket and stud ? And what makes the ranchero and wagon shocks different from the rest of the line? load capacity?

and why bilsteins? can see them if one is road racing or racing up Mulholland Drive but otherwise don't see the greater value on a street car. guess just need some enlightenment here. understand personal choice but are they really that much better to justify the price difference? again just curious not judging your choice.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

lalessi1

Quote from: Zapato on 2015-12-17 15:14
so just out of curiosity, since am away from my parts manuals, what is the shock configuration? double stud, double eye, one of each or slotted t bracket and stud ? And what makes the ranchero and wagon shocks different from the rest of the line? load capacity?

and why bilsteins? can see them if one is road racing or racing up Mulholland Drive but otherwise don't see the greater value on a street car. guess just need some enlightenment here. understand personal choice but are they really that much better to justify the price difference? again just curious not judging your choice.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Rancheros have slotted T top, stud bottom on the rears by the manual.... I have had limited experience with Bilsteins, but they were impressive in the way they seemed to tranform ride quality and steering response. I always wanted to try a set on an older car.
Lynn

hiball3985

This is the Gabriel air shock, regular shock mounts the same way. Stud at bottom, cross bar on top. If I really had a choice I think I would use Koni but I don't think they make them for our old cars. I use KYB or Gabriels because I wouldn't put Monroes on a lawn mower  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I have those on my car now except stud on top, stud on bottom. I put 'em on for adjustable height. I am in the planning stages to redo my rear suspension now.... 6 leaf springs, lowering blocks, sway bar, maybe traction bars, narrowed rear end???
Lynn

John Palmer

Due to the extreme angle (45 degree, is my guess) that the rear shocks are mounted, the air shocks have very little effect on the vehicle ride height.  It was about "one inch" higher on my Ranch Wagon, from zero air pressure, to fully inflated.

When the rear springs were rebuilt we added one leaf and re-ached them for trailer towing it made a much larger difference.  My instructions to the spring shop was, "make them stiffer", but do not increase "the ride height" any more than absolutely necessary.  I still have the air shocks installed, but only air them up when trailer towing.  The ride comfort is just fine with the stiffer rear springs.

I will add a rear sway bar at some point and hope it clears my aftermarket dual exhaust.