News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

AUTOLITE 4100 carbs

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2015-12-27 13:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Any good for street duty?.... I have a couple of them. can they be used on a 2x4 intake?...  I have heard they are the simplest carb out there and are kinda sought after by purists.I just want to know the pros and cons.. not interest in bias.. just the facts...Thanks guys.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Just the facts? Everyone will have different ones  :003:
But my at no cost to you opinion is they are a good dependable easy to fix carb. I've used several over the years and still run one on my Mustang. I don't recall seeing any in a 2X4 configuration. May depend on the manifold, I think they are physically longer then a Holley..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

Autolite had the patent on annular boosters for decades. Holley finally bought rights during the 70's.
Annulars combined with one piece bodies made for a simple smooth running economical carb.
Not as easy to modify as the modular Holleys but, simple jet changes will satisfy most of us.....

Too long to mount on most 2x4 intakes unless mounted sideways (and i don't think any are same venturi bore size and booster restriction on all 4 holes even though the main bores are the same on all four barrels).

Could be used on a crossram though.

Good for todays gas (one bowl, minimal gaskets).

Goodluck,

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

All four holes are the same size.  I believe they come in 600 and 450 CFM.  The 600 has a1.2 cast in the side of the bowl and the 450 has a 1.0.  They are as sensitive to clean gas as the Holley but are so much simpler.  The rear "pump" looking thing is the secondary diaphragm.  The top comes off with eight screws and the center bolt for the air cleaner.  All are heat riser chokes.  The fuel inlet fitting varies from year to year with some taking a 5/16" fuel line to others have a screw in filter that takes a rubber hose.

They are my favorite right after the Holley!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

petew

The carbs that Summit Racing is marketing under their name are basically the same as the Autolite 4100. I have installed a couple of these on different engines and found them to be very responsive and easy to tune.

Jeff Norwell

Thanks again guys... very helpful!

junior58

I have the stock Carter carb on my 312 and would love to swap it for a 4100, much simpler to work on and set up, can remove the top housing with the engine running to check float levels, etc, one piece body so no gaskets to leak. Hard to find down here in New Zealand though, still looking.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

SkylinerRon

If you switch to an Autolite try to get the fuel and vacuum lines off the donor
as they are very different between the three carbs available in 57.

Goodluck,

Ron.

BP57CUSTOM

I am currently using two of these carbs. They are very good carbs ,I have one on my 57 312 and one on my 65 Mustang GT.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

lowrider

While my 57 has a 3x2 set up on it now, I did run it for a while with a 4v. Ran it with the 4100 for a bit and it ran great. Easy to set up, idled great and very good manners running down the road. Also ran a 650 Holley on it too. The engine is a bit modified, domed pistons, big cam, ported & shaved heads etc. Didn't have quite the manners as the 4100 but it sure likes that Holley.