News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Check out the car if you can.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-01-01 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I did a little research after looking at this thread and discovered there are a lot more differences between the Fairlanes and the Customs (Rancheros) than I ever realized. The ledge of the door (where you might rest your arm) where the window goes down is completely different between these cars. The Ranchero door has a raised "lip", the Fairlane door is rounded off with no lip making the side windows lower. The doors are completely different as are the frames that surround the side windows. The windshields are taller on the Rancheros and the rake appears to be more vertical. This makes the A pillars completely different. The Fairlane doors nor trim pieces will not fit a Ranchero. That said I guess one could do that with with sufficient resources and skills.....
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

The windshield on the 300/wagon/Ranchero is a full inch plus a little longer then the 500 series when measured at the center top to bottom.  The stainless from a 500 series could be made to fit, just a matter of time and money.  I think it would be easier to splice a 500 roof at the "A" pillar and use 500 stuff.  The lower three pieces of windshield stainless are the same for both series.

The 58 Edsel junior series are based on Fords 500 series, the wagons are the same base.  59 and 60 are all Ford based.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Same car... I like the kids attitude.A 57 in the early custom mode..... that plate on the fender is definitely for a spotlight.Nice set of Gams.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

What Car? ??? ??.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

I love the old illustations, and much earlier than that example, I love the published engravings that usually had two autographs or initials...one for the engraver who was copying an original by another artist.
That kid is 60ish now...If somebody lived in the Kansas city area maybe he could be tracked down and see if he still has mom's car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-01-06 10:37Probably the only way we would know for sure is from a 57 sales brochure, given 50 years of posible sheetmetal replacements.

Only problem with that is that many of those brochures are drawings rather than actual photographs.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

SkylinerRon

Having never owned a Model 64 I was curious about the odd door arrangement especially since no one sells rubber
seals for them. (I have been considering adding a Dennis Carpenter franchise). It seems they use the hardtop/conv
door with bolt on window frames and pieces for the "chrome post" effect.

So there are only two part #'s for 2dr front door shells for 1957-58 (and each side of course).

All the factory brochures are artist conceptions not photos but they all show a "nose" moulding.
The nose moldings, headlite rings and grilles took most of the "parking lot" damage and were often replaced.
Nose panels weren't that hard to replace before 50 years of rust and mud took their toll!
Back then you could buy those parts at your local autoparts store just like you can buy cheap chinese repop fenders now.
I have a few "brown bag" parts in my collection of 57 stuff.

Ron.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-01-07 07:01
I did a little research after looking at this thread and discovered there are a lot more differences between the Fairlanes and the Customs (Rancheros) than I ever realized. The ledge of the door (where you might rest your arm) where the window goes down is completely different between these cars. The Ranchero door has a raised "lip", the Fairlane door is rounded off with no lip making the side windows lower. The doors are completely different as are the frames that surround the side windows. The windshields are taller on the Rancheros and the rake appears to be more vertical. This makes the A pillars completely different. The Fairlane doors nor trim pieces will not fit a Ranchero. That said I guess one could do that with with sufficient resources and skills.....
Thanks Lynn and others that replied. I won't be putting any of those "shinny parts" on my Ranchero based on your information.It was a good thought for about 24 hours. I'm constantly amazed at how much different tooling there was for the various models that look so similar at a quick glance.
John