News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Check out the car if you can.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-01-01 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Jay's factory-delete-everything E70A business sedan NEVER had the Ford letters nor holes for it in the front panel. It would be easy to assume that they started with a car like that for dragracing, lightweight and fast. instead of dechroming and shaving a Fairlane, 500 or putting Edsel windshield trim on a Fairlane or even putting a 57 front on an Edsel. These pics are very early and I think those cars must still have been quite new. just saying.

djfordmanjack

Ha....! I searched my 57 files and found this!  :-\
Is that a Fairlane 500 2dr with shaved badges, chromed a posts and WITHOUT the fat windshield trim ????

hiball3985

The 57 in the background in Rich's picture doesn't even have a OEM grill or parking lights from what I can see..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I think you're correct Jim, and that would go along nicely with the Lancer type caps, lakes pipes and spotlights we can see in the first pics. Those pics were from a photoshoot of the all-girl car club, and only a few had the '57 in them. The newest car in the shoot was a '59 Impala convert that looked pretty new. No dates or other info given with the postings, my guess it was probably summer of '59 or 60. It was Kansas City, and everyone is wearing summer clothes.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Doesn't this car look the same as far as the roof/chrome/ vent windows go... or did i miss something? My computer won't let me post the pic directly.

http://classiccars.com/listings/view/727920/1957-ford-fairlane-for-sale-in-arundel-maine-04046
Lynn

lalessi1

It is definitely not a Custom.... Compare this picture with the second picture, (the one with the boy hanging out of the window). The windshield is taller on the Custom, the top of the doors are not the same, the vent window shape is different and look at the rear window trim inside the car.....

Lynn

RICH MUISE

OK, OK, but the legs are still nice. The rear window inside trim was the deciding factor for me. I thought the windshield height was a sedan vs hardtop thing, not a Custom vs Fairlane thing.

junior58

I think it is a 64A Fairlane Club Sedan - no stainless on the front fender, smaller stainless trim around the windshield than a 500, stainless trim around the doors including in front of the vent window. With regards nose lettering, the Fairlanes have the word "Fairlane" in script as opposed to individual lettering of F O R D.
The trim on top of the fender does look like the moulding where the spotlight/mirror shaft would go through (just been out to have a look at mine, although I only have left hand one, not right hand.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i'm not the expert,  i thought it was a conv,  but it sure is diff then ones i've seen,  thats not a normal top or roof line,  this summer i'll check to be sure,  theres quite a few of the 300's or fairlanes around here,  and i'll get back,       i still say those are not dodge lancers hubcaps.         that is  one nice 57 picture from djfordmanjack,   jerry

hiball3985

Quote from: junior58 on 2016-01-04 15:31
I think it is a 64A Fairlane Club Sedan - no stainless on the front fender, smaller stainless trim around the windshield than a 500, stainless trim around the doors including in front of the vent window. With regards nose lettering, the Fairlanes have the word "Fairlane" in script as opposed to individual lettering of F O R D.
The trim on top of the fender does look like the moulding where the spotlight/mirror shaft would go through (just been out to have a look at mine, although I only have left hand one, not right hand.
I agree, it looks like the Club Sedan from the windshield trim.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

All 57's had either the FORD or Fairlane emblem on the nose panel.
The replacement panels were not drilled.

Ron.

Zapato

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2016-01-05 01:02
All 57's had either the FORD or Fairlane emblem on the nose panel.
The replacement panels were not drilled.

Ron.

Been a ford guy pretty much forever one thing learned is that when it comes to ford -ALL- is not a word is I'd  ever use.

Zap  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-01-04 04:46
Jay's factory-delete-everything E70A business sedan NEVER had the Ford letters nor holes for it in the front panel. It would be easy to assume that they started with a car like that for dragracing, lightweight and fast. instead of dechroming and shaving a Fairlane, 500 or putting Edsel windshield trim on a Fairlane or even putting a 57 front on an Edsel. These pics are very early and I think those cars must still have been quite new. just saying.
Jay's would have been a 70D. Out of curiosity, I checked the 1957ford.com site, and most of the business sedans did not have the lettering on the nose as you mentioned..... (Hard to tell in most of the pics because the image sizes there are so small.). However, look at the pics of John Gambel's red 70D project car he trailered home in 2007. It's clearly got the F-O-R-D letters on the nose. A few other's on that page have as well. Probably the only way we would know for sure is from a 57 sales brochure, given 50 years of posible sheetmetal replacements.

KYBlueOval

I'm low on the learning curve on '57 Fords, but moving up with the help of this Forum. My interest in this thread is the Stainless Trim being described and can it be used on a Ranchero?  See if I have this right, and if not, correct me. The 64A Fairlane Club Sedan, from the photos I've looked at, has Stainless Trim between the vent window and the "A" Pillar. There appears to be a narrow piece of Stainless Trim on the "A" pillar itself, butting up to the Stainless Windshield Trim, covering what would be pained on my Ranchero. In addition, the 64A Fairlane Club Sedan's doors have Stainless across the top of the door and down the vertical portion that adjoins the "B" Pillar.
Will the Stainless Trim, I've described above from a '57 /  64A Fairlane Club Sedan or any other model '57 or Edsel , fit on my Ranchero?  Is it truly trim applied over the existing upper door frame or do I have to use the entire door ? What other models/ years......Ford or Edsel have this same trim as the 64A Fairlane Club Sedan ?
Thanks
John