News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ride height

Started by 57 imposter, 2016-02-12 08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I am trying to find someone with a bone stock 57/58 with good original equipment suspension parts in it and original engine, trans combo. I would like to know original stock ride height. If someone out there has one I would like to get a measurement from the spindle to the front fender lip it would be appreciated.....Thanks

Ecode70D

My unaltered front end is 14 7/8".   The fender opening has a lip on  that is facing up,  so I measured from the bottom of the fender arch.    Jay

57 imposter

Jay thanks  That has mine measuring out about where it should with a three inch drop. I wonder if we should be looking at shorter shocks. think I'll try and get mine on a four post and see if I can figure out how much travel I have left.

canadian_ranchero

the stock shocks have enough travel to hit the bump stops on the control arms,if these stops have not been modified the shocks will not bottom out   

RICH MUISE

Doug...when they put the springs in my car last week, Kip looked at the shock travel and told me he was pretty sure they would not bottom out. I have the KYB's on the front. When I was driving and bottoming out on road dips, it was the sway bar, not the shocks bottoming out.
I'm sending a PM
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2016-02-14 10:04
Jay thanks  That has mine measuring out about where it should with a three inch drop. I wonder if we should be looking at shorter shocks. think I'll try and get mine on a four post and see if I can figure out how much travel I have left.

Doug
   What is the measurement of yours? 

Guys. 
   Now that I'm confused, my question is.  " What is an average/normal measurement???" .

Sandiaman

Mine is 15 " from center of spindle to bottom of lip. 223 six stock Ranchero

57 imposter

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2016-02-14 14:22
   Doug
   What is the measurement of yours? 

Guys. 
   Now that I'm confused, my question is.  " What is an average/normal measurement???" .
With Granada spindles, Aerostar springs and a 1" spacer, mine has settled at 11 3/4 inches. I don't think there really is an normal measurement. too many different options. Cars running 50 year old springs and some with new aftermarket springs, and we know they can be all over the map. So i would think one with good suspension that sits relatively level would be close enough to work with. It's always been just a visual thing for me. I set them where I like the look and go with it. This one seems to be a bit more of a problem with people having issues with the same parts that I used. Just need to get it out and thrash it up and down some country roads to see what I have

Ecode70D

Sandiaman......  Your measurement makes me feel a lot better for my 57 Ford.   

Doug....As long as you are happy with what you have, and it handles well, that should be good enough, but you have to drive it so that they settle in.  Years ago when I was building my 58 with an FE, I cut the front springs and got them down to where I liked them.  It looked good as long as the car was under construction in the shop.   The very first time I took it for a drive, the springs settled down and it was way too low in the front.   I replaced the cut springs with a  stock set which brought it back up normal and that's the way it still is .