News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas line installation

Started by jdwilker, 2016-02-15 14:34

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwilker

After sitting for 40 years, I'm getting ready to replace my old cruddy tank to engine gas line with a new stainless line on my Skyliner.  I had to cut the old one in 2 places just to get it out and now i'm trying to figure out how to get the new one installed in one piece. The hardest area to deal with is towards the rear where it crosses between the top of the frame and the bottom of the body. There isn't enough room to get the line with the nut through this little opening. I was thinking I might be able to loosen the bolts that attach the body to the frame on the left side and jack the body up a few inches to thread that line through. Has anyone ever done a gas line replacement on a '57? Any tips would be appreciated.

clusterbuster

What is wrong with putting it in with two sections, double flaring each piece where they would join?

Ecode70D

Ditto to clusterbuster. 
That's what I did on my 57.

SkylinerRon

Flairs and a coupler is the easy way as long as it is not a showcase car (IFRC).

If you loosen the body bolts you will need to loosen all of them as the retractable uses solid mounts
and there is no give as with rubber.

Goodluck,

Ron.

RICH MUISE

IMHO, unless your doing a 100% factory correct restoration for show/points judging, I'd remake it into two pieces as Cluster sugested. Unless you've recently replaced your body mounts, "loosening them" probably ain't gonna happen, and even if they're not totally rusted, your gonna have to pull the carpet up to get to them, which means probably removing the seats, which means....feel like playing dominos?
At the factory, the fuel lines were assembled onto the frames before the body was mounted.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe