News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6L DOHC Exhaust manifolds that fit my '57 Ranchero

Started by dmkberger, 2018-12-08 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

dmkberger

I have been doing a LOT of reading on this engine swap in here and have multiple choices of expensive stuff to choose from, but I am a Poor man and need a cheap drivers side exhaust manifold that will fit my 4.6L DOHC... I have an original off the '95 Mark VIII which is great as long as you're not gonna have a steering box, then I got a front manifold off a 2000 Lincoln Continental FWD car which is kind of better, but still points right at the spot the steering box or rack will fit.
Anyone got a "this is the best choice" for this swap kind of manifold that is not a thousand dollars????
Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory.

RICH MUISE

Yep.....most, if not all, of us are using the Mustang Cobra stock exhaust manifolds. Comparatively cheap I guess, I think I paid less than 150 shipped for the pair. Word of caution: the Mustang GT's 4.6 won't fit because the GT's sohc engine has round exhaust ports on the heads. It's got to be the Cobra's because they match up with the Lincoln DOHC's oval ports. Without going back to my build threads, I think the years are 98,99,01,02. I'm of the understanding they did not make a Cobra in 2000.
Several tips:
1.install the manifolds after the engine is installed. You need to replace the exhaust manifold studs with bolts, as there is not enough room to slide the manifolds over the studs.
2. I used an aftermarket offroad downpipe/H-pipe kit for a Mustang Cobra to get the exhaust built back to the mufflers.(in my build thread) You will have to do some mods on it to get it to fit, such as cutting a section out of the down pipe area to raise the lower horizontal pipe enough to go between the tranny crossmember and floorboard. I also had to add a extension to the H pipe to widen the distance between the two pipes. I used a flexible connector for that.......worked great having that flex to get the two sides on the same plane. I'll see if I can find pics, but if they are not here somewhere already, I won't be able to get to them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Found some info on the downpipe install......
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3750.255
The Mac's number for the set I ordered is on page 18. The link to the ebay source is no longer good, the "replacement item" they show is not what I ordered, but the part number I listed in the text is what you need. Note it is an H pipe, not an X pipe. Anyway, lots of pics and info on the downpipes starting on page 18. Also on that thread, earlier on, I had listed an ebay seller specializing in Mustang Cobra stuff.

CobraJoe

Just a thought, and not sure if it would apply to the 4.6 in a '57, but back when we were building Cobras, we used to swap the left/right manifold or headers so they would dump forward to give us more clearance. Don't know if it would work or help in this application, but figured it might be worth mentioning.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Don't know how you'd get back past those large control arms if it were dumped in front. Because of the width of the 4.6's at the bottom as well as top, the proximity of the manifolds to the upper control arm is the main issue, more so than where it's dumping. The Cobra manifolds will leave only about 1/4" space. Actually, the passenger side manifold  on mine is only 1/16 from touching the upper control arm bracket.
I read an install into a '56 article on a 4.6 once where they talked about using two right Lincoln manifolds. The one to be used on the left was cut apart and rewelded to move the outlet to the rear. My thoughts are that won't work in the '57's because both of the Linclon manifolds are much wider that the cast Cobras. Seems like a lot of work when Cobra manifolds are available, fairly cheap,supposedly add 10 HP, and are a bolt on. Also provide the ability to use the Mustang off-road pipes without having to fiddle with the outlet sizes/shapes.
What I don't know is if the 03-04 Mustang GT 4.6 manifolds will work. They are a different shape. There is one on EBAY now for 70ish, advertised as right side, but I do believe it is actually a left (at least the pic), unless they dumped in front. I'm not a Mustang expert by any means, but apparently the 03-04 Mustang GT's were dohc, whereas 98-99,01-02 had to be Cobra to be dohc.

Interesting tidbit.........I'm told Ford did not make a 2000 Mustang Cobra/4.6 dohc, but Ford Racing made a conversion kit to change your new 2000 GT into a new Cobra. Included crate 4.6 DOHC drivetrain, badges, dash panel, etc. I was told that by a guy from Albuquerque whose friend recently had an opportunity to buy some leftover kits, and bought 8 of them at something like 6500. ea.for the complete kit. One of those kits went into this guys '40 pickup including the dash panel.

dmkberger

I have thought of putting a passenger side exhaust manifold on the drivers side and just cutting the ends off and rewelding them on " backwards ". That would put the exhaust right where I need it to be.
It would give me a bunch of room where I need it...
Then I can weld a flange to the catalyst and bolt it where it needs to be...
I'm looking into Cobra manifolds, I just have to find them and decide what to do...

dmkberger

This is the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of my Mark VIII 4.6L.
If I cut the ends off and put it on the drivers side, reweld the ends on it would work wonderfully...
Again, just have to find one... Harder than it sounds!

RICH MUISE

Out of curriousity, do you have the complete donor MKviii car?

dmkberger

I did have the complete car, I took everything that I could without leaving it un-rollable.
I just got my Borgeson power steering box and put it in, the exhaust I have been losing my mind over, works like a charm!
Such a relief!!!!
I have a front exhaust manifold off of a late model Lincoln Continental with the front wheel drive 4.6L and it clears the box by a half inch!
I have lost so much sleep over this... for nothing, well the cost is not nothing, BUT tonight we sleep like a baby knowing that driving this car is SO MUCH CLOSER to reality I can hardly stand it!
I can't say enough about the people on this forum.
Everyone has been very helpful with tons of ideas on how to overcome my problems.
Thank you to everyone who's tried to help the old guy get over this hurdle!!!! :icon_super:

RICH MUISE

I just realized your in Lake Havasu. The supplier I keep sending folks to for odd fittings is right in your backyard! Pure Choice Motorsports. They'll have anything you need for fuel, brake, etc. plumbing that metric 4.6 / converting mm to AN. I love their springlock conversion stuff for the fuel lines. They even made a fitting I needed and they were out of stock on while I waited. Yeah, I'm from Texas, but I've been there!
Both Dad and son are very knowledgeable. Probably stuff you already know!
I've got soooo many questions for you. Where are you at on the install? Wiring? plumbing?, etc. I may have missed it, but what model is your '57?
I asked about the donor car because I was going to give you a list of stuff to pull from it that you may or may not have thought to pull. Aside from the must haves, like computer, ignition control module, MAF sensor, I also used part of the oem intake/engine cover, the complete shifter w/ cable and shifter housing, the gas linkage and pedal, and driveshaft I also converted mine to COP eliminating the spark plug wires and coil packs. If you're considering that as well, you'll want to change the valve covers before installing the brake booster/master.
Thanks for posting the info on the Continental's manifold fitting. That adds another option. With the Continental manifold, the issue you may / may not have now is the downpipes. Depends on how you're going to do the exhaust. I don't know if the offroad downpipe kit I talked about earlier will work with those exhaust manifolds. The Cobra manifolds had different shaped outlets on either side. Keep us posted on that, please.

canadian_ranchero

the continenal exhaust manifold would not clear my borgoson steering box on my swap, i used a 01 cobra manifold

RICH MUISE

Gary......good to see you back. I would sure like to see some feedback from you on your past summer with the 4.6!!

dmkberger

Been busy and have not responded to some serious questions here. I found that the front wheel drive Lincoln Continental front exhaust manifold works Very well and clears the Borgeson steering box with about a half to three quarters of an inch to spare.
Right now Rich, I am finishing the firewall for paint and then the engine will be installed for the last time, I hope anyway. Then comes wiring and fuel lines and things of that nature.
My '57 is a Ranchero which was being "rat rodded" when I got it, so I had to undo a bunch of really crappy "metal work". I had to replace the front floors and have had to replace all of the front suspension pieces, the lower control arms were worn through the bushings and into the control arm itself. The front springs were brand new and cut so much that the car was nearly dragging on the ground and could not go over a 2" X 4" on it's side.
The donor car was completely stripped of all wiring, and all of the mechanicals except what it took to roll it to the end of my driveway for pick up by the local boneyard for scrap.
The drivers side exhaust will have the catalyst cut off of the original manifold with the oxygen sensor intact and then weld a flange on to fit the Continental manifold, I have yet to fit the EGR tube but that will not be that big of a problem.
I have fitted a Mustang hydro booster and master cylinder to the firewall, which I had to do the metal work and body work on and an doing the finishing on that right now.
I've probably posted a bunch of this info in the past, just my stroke rearing it's ugly affects on my brain again...

RICH MUISE

Any updates? I'm wondering what you are doing for the lower radiator coolant hose, if your using a "stock" or similar radiator.