News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mustang II

Started by Fonz, 2018-08-07 23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Fonz

My goodness, the Mustang II gallops again, and with the help of MotorWeek's John Davis, lol. :003:

cokefirst

I am not sure if that is a 77 or a 78.  I had a 77, bought it new, special ordered it with the options I wanted.  V8, 4 speed, am/fm 8 track, plaid upholstery, leather wheel.  Bottom line.  it was the worst car i ever owned!!  I had nothing but problems from day one.  The quality was atrocious!!  It was the last new car i have ever purchased.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

Fonz

Quote from: cokefirst on 2018-08-08 23:16
I am not sure if that is a 77 or a 78.  I had a 77, bought it new, special ordered it with the options I wanted.  V8, 4 speed, am/fm 8 track, plaid upholstery, leather wheel.  Bottom line.  it was the worst car i ever owned!!  I had nothing but problems from day one.  The quality was atrocious!!  It was the last new car i have ever purchased.

You could say that about a lot of domestic cars at the time. I remember a story of an older lady that bought a new Monarch. As soon as she got home the driver's door fell off. The plant workers weren't putting them together right, leaving it to the dealers to fix things. The Big 3 were also squeezing the parts suppliers on cost. Now all brands of car are doing this, which explains the warranty claims and recall fever going on, imo.

thomasso

Had a 78 Orange Fastback, 302 and automatic.  My daughter drove it all thru college and then some.  Never had a problem.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

Orange beats lemon anyday.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Pinto/Mustang II are the greatest thing in the world!  They drove pretty fairly but more importantly they have contributed their front end geometry to count less hot rods!  I found out many years ago that the stock MII frame rails were the same width as the frame rails in my 36 Chevy.  Cut it out of the car, trimmed and installed it in the 36.  Had to send the rotors to Progressive Automotive to get the rotors plugged and drilled for the GM five lug pattern.  Not a single machine shop in Norfolk, VA would touch that job.  All that work was done in 1984.  There were no after market rotors at that time with five lug patterns.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Fonz

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2018-08-10 08:23
Pinto/Mustang II are the greatest thing in the world!  They drove pretty fairly but more importantly they have contributed their front end geometry to count less hot rods!  I found out many years ago that the stock MII frame rails were the same width as the frame rails in my 36 Chevy.  Cut it out of the car, trimmed and installed it in the 36.  Had to send the rotors to Progressive Automotive to get the rotors plugged and drilled for the GM five lug pattern.  Not a single machine shop in Norfolk, VA would touch that job.  All that work was done in 1984.  There were no after market rotors at that time with five lug patterns.

For a long time they were the go to cars for the hot rod fraternity. Some irony in people nicknaming the Mustang II as Deuce, given the hot rod parts connection.

It's amazing what Ford was selling back then. O0

Mustang II 1976 TV commercial

SkylinerRon

Wow, Davis stopped fawning over imports long enough to write about Fords.

Ron.