News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anyone interested in taking over?

Started by JPotter57, 2016-03-05 19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

I need to pass the torch to someone who is either retired, or who has fewer commitments than I do at this time.Anyone interested, shoot me an email or a PM.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

hotroddonnie

Looks like everyone is waiting for me to sign up! Sorry guys I'm not your man!! Replacing James is not going to be an easy job. HRD

racton

:unitedstates:I think Mr.Potter is having a bad day.From the few hours I have spent reading the old posts,I think we would all be hardpressed to find anyone as dedicated.If there is any way I can help out I will.Lasanga is ready I gotta go..Richard Acton

RICH MUISE

Young guy with a career and NINE kids....it's understandable for sure. I sure hope your able to find someone to take over, although I'm sure all of us would rather see things just continue status quo. My quess about the "finding a retired guy" is most of us retired guys aren't computer literate enough.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Rich:

Boy you got that one correct.  Computer literate and retired just don't seem to go together.  James and John (1957 Fords) seem to know everything there is to know about computers, web sites and most of all 57 Fords.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

I'm in the "retired and computer dumb" crowd as well.  I did manage to go through almost all of my Navy career without learning how to use them.  Then they (280s) started showing up on ships and we (Electronic technicians) had to repair them.  After that I had nothing to do with them until I got a real job and learned basic email and web searches.

Having said all of that....I'm sorry James, I'm afraid it would a mess if I were in control!  You do not want me to "fix" this wonderful web site most all of us love.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Kinda the response I was expecting.   Well, this is what is going to happen.  I have paid for a few months of web service, I will go ahead and pay for the 2 year plan.  If, in that time, I have a change of heart or someone steps up to take it, fine.  I'll try to keep the rif-raf weeded out, so you guys will still have a basically spam-free site.  If anything pops up, text or call me, most of you have my number.  If any donations are made to the site, I will use it to extend the web service so the site stays up.  I may eliminate the main site, and only keep this forum since no one uses it anyway.  It is looking dated, and hasn't been changed in a long time.

I just want to move on.  I have dedicated the last nearly 20 years to this pursuit, and I feel like its time for me to move on to something else.  There are things that I have missed out on due to my obsession with this car, the club and things surrounding it.   I plan to keep my car, at least for a while dont get me wrong, but I own it, not the other way around.  I want to thank you guys for making this site what it is, hard to believe it got here from where it started on Yahoo groups.

I guess life will still go on, this site will stay here.  I will check in from time to time to see if there are updates, make sure the forum is still up and not broken.  The real difference is that I hope to be doing something constructive on my home, my car, or with my kids instead of sitting behind a desk envying everyone else's cool ride.
Old, loud, and fast.

djfordmanjack

James, we hear you. Knowing how stressing and time consuming car stuff and sitting behind the computer can be. I have only been here for 2 years but this forum is just an excellent example for people thinking alike and sharing their passion. I have been through what you say many times, even with my first 57 that I sold because other things were more important. Back then it was the right decision for me, but I still keep coming back to the same things all over again and again and again. so keep this in mind, if you want to make a change now, you might miss the old times and do it again. Don't sell your car !
It would be great if this forum could stay up for years to come. Me personally I owe YOU a lot, since I got to meet a certain fellow here on your forum, that I really cherish a lot and I even took a plane, met in person and got a nice 4-wheeled present from him that I now drive EVERY DAY. So this forum has affected MY WHOLE LIFE and still does EVERYDAY !
Thank you James !

BWhitmore

What are the typical duties/responsibilities for the administrator/moderator/webmaster?

JPotter57

Duties are everything that causes this site to run, from registrations to fixing things when they break, to updating softtware from time to time.  I doubt I could ever really give it all up.just my job is changing, like to maybe not existing, just feeling the stresses of being a grownup.  It'll pass.
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

I envy your persistence and commitment to this project for so long and thank you for your dedication, loyalty, and investment.  This site has value as well as the investment of your resources.  I have no clue as to your investment in this site.  But, duties, software, and fixing broken things costs in hours of supervising, monitoring, and learning curves as well as the financial investment of software, hardware, server site fees, and I have no idea what else.  I respect your consideration of your personal and family time, but if this has anything to do with the cost of stuff...is it time for the members to pay dues.  I don't want to embarrass anybody or think that money can solve everything.  Dues or donations have been mentioned in the pass and many members donated.  Sometimes parts have been exchanged for free with the contingency that a donation be given to this site.  Even with these occasional offerings, I don't think these are often enough to offset James' out-of-pocket expenses.  You have enough depends and you own life to take care of and this site certainly should not be one of your financial drains.  This is our forum and we should ante up!

lalessi1

James, this site is very large part of my enjoyment of retired life. THANK YOU!. Meeting you at the Power Tour in Gonzales last year was really great for me.  I have no idea of the monetary costs of what you do for all, but I for one will help make sure that you bare NO monetary costs for your generosity. A close friend of mine's job went away this past Monday (at age 62) for the first time in his life, very stressful. I am sure this has happened to most of us (if not all of us) at some time or another. Jobs come and jobs go. Hang in there, all will be the way it should be, forum or no forum. I have been planning on that road trip to Pascagoula to visit and I will make it very soon, hopefully in my '57.

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Gary and Lynn said it very well. I'm on SS, so funds are hard to come by, theat's why I've tried to help by asking guys to send donations here when I've shipped out parts...however, as Lynn said, this forum is obviously a large part of my retired life, so when my next check comes in in 2 weeks, I'll be making a donation. It's probably been a year anyways since I've had parts anyone was looking for.
I'm really grateful for everything you've done for us, but I totally agree with the fact that with such a large family to support, stress from monetary issues with this site shouldn't be in the equation.
Than you again
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Its not really the money, or hasnt been anyway.  My job with the military is contractual, and some shenanigans went on in the contracting office between two departments, thinking that their petty differences would just affect a small number of people.  when they found that they had effectively and totally 100%shut down all our training across the country, panic struck.   Now everyone is in a mad dash to try to get everything patched and band aid fixed to keep it running.  As of 31 Mar, it's done unless they can get their crap together.  I know with the government, things change hourly, but they really screwed the pooch on this one.  Not only is it shut down, but if they break up the team that we have carefully assembled over the years that have caused everything to work the way it has, the effects could be permanent.  That is what we are most concerned with.  There are 4 of us at our site that are going to try to ride out the storm, but if it stretches more than two months, we will each just have to cut our losses and move on.  3 of them already have taken other jobs , and may or may not come back.  It really sucks having a job that you're good at, but also one that you really love, one where you actually feel like you are leaving a positive mark, and then someone playing games can take it away...It will get better, I am positive, it's just a matter of when.

Just a little stressed out...like I said, it'll pass, eventually.
Old, loud, and fast.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-03-10 18:46
I envy your persistence and commitment to this project for so long and thank you for your dedication, loyalty, and investment.  This site has value as well as the investment of your resources.  I have no clue as to your investment in this site.  But, duties, software, and fixing broken things costs in hours of supervising, monitoring, and learning curves as well as the financial investment of software, hardware, server site fees, and I have no idea what else.  I respect your consideration of your personal and family time, but if this has anything to do with the cost of stuff...is it time for the members to pay dues.  I don't want to embarrass anybody or think that money can solve everything.  Dues or donations have been mentioned in the pass and many members donated.  Sometimes parts have been exchanged for free with the contingency that a donation be given to this site.  Even with these occasional offerings, I don't think these are often enough to offset James' out-of-pocket expenses.  You have enough depends and you own life to take care of and this site certainly should not be one of your financial drains.  This is our forum and
we should ante up!

Without this great Forum, I would have made a multitude of costly mistakes by now in building my Ranchero. I'll gladly "ante up". Tell me where to send the money.
John