News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

S & T Fabrications Rack LEAKS !!!

Started by kens65fb, 2016-03-09 12:50

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

After finally getting all the fittings & hoses solved, the rack LEAKS from the top where the steering joint fits.
Looking online my rack looks different from the pics of the Cavalier racks I find.
Can anyone Tom or Sparky especially tell me what make model or year rack I need to order ?

RICH MUISE

I can't remember what year Cavalier rack it was, but I can give you an Advance Auto/Cardone rebuilt part number. It's Cardone 22-108. Check for online discounts and free shipping if it's not stocked locally. cost was 105.68 including 20 core charge, which can be had locally even if it's shipped to you. Head's up...their shipping is relatively slow, it took 8 calender days Fla(?) to Tx.
I just replaced mine last month
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

kens65fb

I did find one at advance auto, but it looked different.

kens65fb

Rich you were CORRECT!!, the Cardone  22-108 rack looks exactly right.
How does the bottom bracket attach to the rack.

KYBlueOval

I recently purchased this R&P from the same guy, John Sparks, and he told me the rack was warranted. So before you go pay for a new rack, I'd suggest you contact John. If you need his number let me know and I'll P.M. it to you.
The rack that I have is for a '86 to '90 Chevrolet Cavalier.
John

RICH MUISE

I don't know how the bracket attaches. I had the hot rod shop in my neighborhood put the new rack on when I had the coil springs switched out.

JPotter57

Thats why I wont put brand x parts on my Ford...not even an alternator kit.  Im brand loyal for a reason.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

kens65fb

With the help of Rich Muise, I was able to order the correct replacement rack.

I emailed S & T fabrications but got NO RESPONSE.

The rack was available from AMAZON  for $99.81  NO TAX - NO CORE -  Free shipping
Parts Geek -----   NO TAX - NO Core  $81.32 + $9.95 shipping ----- Total $91.27
Stock Wise Auto  ----- NO TAX - NO CORE - $76.76 + $10.02  Shipping ----- Total $86.78
Napa sells the rack for $121.52, but the guy at the counter said this particular rack is way too weak for a full sized 57 Ford, and would not stand by the warranty if not used for a cavalier.

RICH MUISE

Sparky is not real big on computers...even email. Heck, I'll go a week or more without checking my email. Best way to get him is phone.
Lots of people think cars from the 50's were tanks. Not always so. I wonder what the weight of a Cavalier is. Not too many cars on the road today are going to weigh in at 3460 lbs (Custom)

Wirenut

Cavalier weight is 2600-2800lbs

RICH MUISE

Well that's kinda surprising. I guess alot of us are going to find out how long they actually last. I'm 95% certain when Rick Wurthit was making the originally available units for our cars he was using the same rack.
Makes me wonder what the kit that Unisteer had out a few years back for the '57's was using. I'll see if they are still making the kit. It was reported by one of our members it was a badly designed kit that couldn't be made to fit properly. Makes me wonder if they corrected that. Unisteer is generally considered a good company.
Thanks for posting that weight, Kerby. Not to change the subject, but does wherever you found that info also have the weight of a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII? All I can find is a gross weight(fully loaded).

Zapato

Friend of mine,long time GM mechanic and NHRA record holder, once told he couldn't understand anone using those racks as they  seldom lasted more than 80,000 miles. He did a lot of custom work and would refuse to use them. And he was a dyed in the wool chevy man.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Wirenut

95 mark 8 curb weight is3700 lbs.

RICH MUISE

At less than 100 replacement cost, I'll be happy if it only lasts 40k.
Thanks Kerby..I would have guessed more with the gross weight listed as 4960 if I remember correctly.

Wirenut

That's the base model, advertised lighter than the mark 7. Might have been a 6 banger with less of a lot if things if yours shows 1000 lbs heavier. That a huge difference.
I do recall the mustang grande package having additional sound deadening materials which added some weight and upgrades to a 351 verses the 6 cylinder or 302. Options definately add up but not sure how they could make as much as 1000 lbs.
I too installed the cavalier rack and mimicked the wurth set up. I haven't had any leaking but do wish I had more turning radius and may change mine at some point just for that reason alone.