I need advise on a 5.8 Liter, 351 Motor and AODE Transmission Combination

Started by KYBlueOval, 2016-03-09 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

I think someone could buy a decent running FE/C-6 complete for under a grand and be driving
over a weekend.

Ron.

billd5string

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2016-03-12 23:48
I think someone could buy a decent running FE/C-6 complete for under a grand and be driving
over a weekend.

Ron.

I am thinking about getting a 351W and an AOD for mine as well, but I would jump on a FE/C6 in a heartbeat if I could find one for under a grand. I personally think those days are long gone. And over a weekend? I had the impression there were motor mounts and transmission mount/crossmember issues that needed to be reworked. And I wouldn't think the exhaust wouldn't just bolt right up either. Is that wrong? Is a FE/C6 really a direct bolt in?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

dgasman

Installing a FE with a c6 is a bolt in, you use the factory 57 mounts and a easy modification to the trans cross member . For exhaust you use the factory log manifold or headers , also there is no reason you can't have EFI on your FE .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

billd5string

Quote from: dgasman on 2016-03-13 14:23
Installing a FE with a c6 is a bolt in, you use the factory 57 mounts and a easy modification to the trans cross member . For exhaust you use the factory log manifold or headers , also there is no reason you can't have EFI on your FE .

Really! That's pretty cool! So my 312 exhaust would line up and bolt up to a 390 factory exhaust manifold? What about the driveshaft? Does it have to be shortened? Maybe a yoke change?

That must be a pretty common swap then right? And the EFI part shouldn't be a problem with the various modern bolt on systems available. That doesn't address an overdrive though... Is there a AOD that bolts up to an FE?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

lalessi1

I have an FE with a toploader in my Custom now, the 312 exhaust won't bolt up but with the right parts it is a bolt in. Ford introduced the FE in the 1958 cars as an option over the Y blocks. since the '57s and '58 are essentially the same cars, there were factory parts to address everything. In the 60's I went to the dealer and bought every part that was different and bolted a '62 Mercury 390 into my Fairlane 500 in 1 day. I used the Fairlane 3-speed.
Lynn

SkylinerRon

OK, time for some info.
58 FE headpipes hook an FE to 57 mufflers.
All 54-58 V-8 motor mounts are the same (FE's are reversed).
FE bellhousings bolt up to Y-Block trans' No need to cut driveshaft.
57 Radiator outlets work w/FE hoses
Gas pedal linkage is the same

If you have a good running 292/312 just bolt on a Mummert top end and some cam and
kick some windsor and sbc butt!

Stock 58 FE's came w/2.69 rears, is that enough Overdrive for ya? (Torque rules the street).

Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel, just learn about them.

Goodluck,

Ron.

canadian_ranchero

i picked up the donor mark 8 for my wagon for a $1000,and drove the mark home

lalessi1

My only (not really my only one (I have lots of issues)) issue is with my ability /desire to keep an old car working properly. If I owned a 90's anything, I wouldn't even work on it myself. Computer managed automobiles are frustrating to a mechanical guy used to figuring out what is wrong by taking things them apart and looking. I know that newer cars are more efficient in fuel consumption and in horsepower production, perhaps drivability, but that doesn't appeal to me as much as the simplicity of older cars. I would be afraid that if I transplanted a modern drive train/computer management system into my '57, it would wind up in a field... that is contrary to the very reason why I love these cars. My daily driver has a recurring problem with a wiring issue to the front wheel speed sensor...rodent related. The ABS, the ESP, the cruise control, and the convertible top do not work as a result...REALLY?. Nothing that $1500 won't fix. It is a 2006. 
Lynn

hiball3985

X2 what Lynn said. The extent of my electronics is a Pertronix but I carry points and condenser with me, no interest in being part of the call a tow truck crowd  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

An old friend was hard against any EFI of any kind.  His position was that if he broke down on the road there would be no way to "fix" it.  I had to ask him if he carried a spare coil, points, and rotor - never mind the tools to do the repairs.  My point to him was made when I stopped to help him while he was broke down on the interstate 35 miles from home.  Seams his HEI distributor had gone out.  Given EFI has been around since the mid 80s and old school stuff is hard to come by the new systems are supported to a much greater extent.

Modern EFI systems have a limp home mode that will get you to the house or a repair shop.  Seldom is the computer the cause of the failure.  Nearly every repair shop has a reader to tell you what has failed, Autozone does it for free.  If I have the opportunity to get a complete "parts" car (and I do have one, a 105K mile Explorer with 302/EAOD) the stuff from it will go in the next project.  The Explorer stuff will go in the 60 Ranchwagon.

So it goes without saying I'm an EFI guy.  I must admit my extensive electronics back ground helps a tremendous amount to understanding their operation and reading the many boards out there that deal with EFI. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

OK! :003: I had a 1976 260Z with carburetors and a '78 280Z with EFI...no comparison period. The EFI was better in everyway. I would really love to put an aftermarket EFI setup on my FE....so there...

I guess it is all about the myriad of sensors, miles of wiring, complexity, long term parts availability, etc. of the older factory stuff. In my mind all the factory systems were necessary to meet emission requirements and that was the primary design parameter. Performance has had a resurgence in the past decade or so and engineers take advantage of complex designs to optimize all engine functions...while I can appreciate that, I still love old horsepower. No substitute for cubic inches! :002:
Lynn

hiball3985

All the electronics stuff is fine for some, I'm to old to learn new tricks  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

What I'm finding out with my system, is I may have been better off with 1 1996 vintage. My 1995 still used the OBD I system, and trying to find shops that can work on it is very difficult. I just talked to a local performance shop that specializes in the late model performance cars, and they don't have the equiptment to work on OBD I.
1996 was pre PATS, but first year of OBDII, at least on the Mark VIII's.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

That $1000 Lincoln sounds like a deal.
How much is it to replace all the timing chains and guides?

Ron.