News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Horn Contact Button Bushing

Started by lalessi1, 2016-07-17 13:31

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

A bit of info for those who might be trying to adapt a horn contact button, contact plate to a '57 steering wheel. The dimension sketch and pictures of a '59 horn button bushing are included.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Good info, thanks for posting

edited my original post cause I actually expanded the pic you posted, and saw what you were describing, duh!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I put the pictures up hoping they would show the ribs... they run parallel to the length. I could have drawn them but I would have been drawing a lot longer than I had planned. Actually a constant taper would probably more practical to custom make.
:003:
Lynn

Ecode70D

I would hate to have to make one of those bushings.

suede57ford

I need one recently to mount one of those new aftermarket 15" T_Bird wheel in a 57 Bird with a '59 Turn signal mechanism, so the horn works with a rack and pinion. 

I found a black sleeve out of a wall mounted TV kit.  I had a'59 steering wheels around to use as an example, so I was able to duplicate where it went and the outer dimensions.   

I mounted the sleeve in a drill and fine tuned the top od with some sandpaper while spinning the bushing in the drill.   I drilled the steering wheel to the size of the new bushing. You do not need the ribs as you can glue the sleeve in with some Epoxy or 3M PBA

The collar I found was a little short inside the wheel, so I filled up the empty spot with 3M Panel Bond Adhesive(JB Weld will work too).  After the adhesive dried, I drilled the center of the new bushing to the correct size.

I used all repo parts to modify the steering wheels and '57 horn rings latey.   The sleeve was the only thing I've been having to fab.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429