News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission linkage

Started by Limey57, 2016-08-26 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I've fitted an AOD (and 302) in my 57 Ranchero, BUT I'm struggling with the shift linkage.  I have the original column auto shift, but nothing from the end of the column to the transmission, the car was in bits when I bought it so I don't even know what the stock set-up looks like.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that might have pictures of the shift linkage so I can get my head round what I need to fabricate?  I've got the 57 Ford manual but can't find anything in there.  I had a column shift auto C***y a while ago and that had a kind of bell-crank welded to the chassis but can't see any evidence of anything ever being fitted to the Ranchero.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

If you still have the original '57, automatic steering column, unfortunately, it has only two forward gear selections...drive and low.  If the two selections work for you, it could work if only temporary with limited forward gear selection.  The FordOMatic in '57 did NOT use an equalizer bar (Z-bar).  The shift lever on the side of the FOM is a little longer than most transmissions.  The selector rod goes right from the column to the transmission.  I am upgrading the Raunch Wagon to '64 Galaxie steering and column.  I am not only upgrading to power steering but also have plans to go from the FOM to a CruisOMatic.  The '64 column will be compatible to the COM.

canadian_ranchero

if you look at my engine swap posts, there is a picture of the stock 57 auto shift linkage

Wirenut

I did the same tranny swap but I put a floor shifter with a Lokar shift cable and throttle cable. Your probably aware of the pressure adjustment for the throttle valve with accelerator linkage required. I like the look of the floor shifter and found it easier to just run the cables. Since Lokar has the linkage for the tranny, carb, and shifter it took all the guess work out. The 2 position forward on the stock verses 4 for the AOD looked like it would always be a problem. You may not like the floor shift idea but it looks sporty, if you've seen the Hammer shift handle and floor console it's a nice set up. Just my two cents. I was faced with a similar situation as you. I bought the car with no drivetrain or motor and had no linkage or idea how to make it work. Good luck with making yours work.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Wirenut on 2016-08-26 20:53
I did the same tranny swap but I put a floor shifter with a Lokar shift cable and throttle cable. Your probably aware of the pressure adjustment for the throttle valve with accelerator linkage required. I like the look of the floor shifter and found it easier to just run the cables. Since Lokar has the linkage for the tranny, carb, and shifter it took all the guess work out. The 2 position forward on the stock verses 4 for the AOD looked like it would always be a problem. You may not like the floor shift idea but it looks sporty, if you've seen the Hammer shift handle and floor console it's a nice set up. Just my two cents. I was faced with a similar situation as you. I bought the car with no drivetrain or motor and had no linkage or idea how to make it work. Good luck with making yours work.
Wirenut........I've got a 4R70W Transmission to go in my Ranchero along with a '66 T'Bird Console and will have a Lokar Shifter when I use a Gift Certificate I was given. What I'd like to know is how long is the Chrome Plated Shift Lever in your application? Lokar offers them in 6",8", 10 " etc.. The gift certificated I have will expire before I get to that point in my build, so I'm going to have to make an educated guess on what is the correct length. What can you tell me? Photos?
Thanks
John

lalessi1

Gary, here is a bad but legible pic of the assembly. Hope this helps.
Lynn

Wirenut

Here's a photo if the shift ever kit, B&M 40496, bracket and lever kit

Wirenut

Here's a photo of the B&M hammer shifter part#80885&80887. The shifter shaft is only 3-4"

Wirenut

The cable assembly is Lokar, I don't have that part # but can dig for it if you want

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Wirenut on 2016-08-27 21:30
Here's a photo of the B&M hammer shifter part#80885&80887. The shifter shaft is only 3-4"
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to take the photo etc..
John

Limey57

Thanks for all the comments.  A floor shifter would be easier, but I want to keep it a 3-seater, I did consider converting to a 5 speed manual (I prefer manuals, only ever had one auto as a daily driver!) but keeping it a 3 seater is critical as my wife & daughter want to be able to travel in it as well.

The selector on the side of the transmission (the bit that the linkage fastens to) is further back on the AOD than the standard 57 transmission which added to the confusion, but now I know what the original set-up looks like I can start to play around with various set-ups using bits of bent welding rod as a mock-up.
Gary

1957 Ranchero