News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

fuel guage gone wild

Started by smurfee, 2016-08-18 13:09

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfee

I had my dash out & now its back in & the gas guage goes down past empty & past full no matter amount of gas ???, which wire cap - green or yellow goes on which side of the guage & can the guage be ajuster ??? (getting oud is hell) :unitedstates: :icon_bigsmurf: :005:
NEVER LOOK BACK

mudgrips

Hi I'll take awhile guess that your gauge voltage regulator could be bad  they have them at o rileys

JPotter57

Thats my guess too...takes about 5 or 10 minutes to change..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

smurfee

OK, what & where is my guage voltage regulator  :icon_bigsmurf: :unitedstates: :iamwithstupid:
NEVER LOOK BACK

lalessi1

It is a rectangular box screwed to the back of the instrument cluster, two wires. It drops the voltage to the gauges.
Lynn

gasman826

If the regulator was bad, you would think that it would affect the temperature gauge.

smurfee

Sorry, I have a modern underdash temp guage  :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK

gasman826

Testing the regulator is just like testing to determine gauge and sender performance.  Unplug the sender and ground it.  If the gauge is working correctly, it should go to full.  If the regulator is working correctly, the gauge will go from E to F moving slow and fast.  If the gauge goes quickly to full with NO surge, the regulator is not working.  If the gauge stays on E, bad gauge or no power to the gauge...power comes directly from the regulator so regulator would have no power or bad.