Going to Hershey in Oct. for the first time,..what do I need to know?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2016-09-14 05:53

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

Rich, I think what you might be referring to is the Carlisle Pa. shows. They have a Ford week, Chevy week and Mopar week. I will be going to the what they call Fall Carlisle this coming Friday with a friend of mine. They also have a spring Carlisle and other nice events all year. It is a huge car and flea market that can't be  covered in a day. Anyone that goes to that show is never disappointed. I bought both my front and rear re chromed bumpers there a few years back with life time warranty.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-25 09:15
I've never been, and never checked into it, but I always thought events at Hershey were Brand oriented....ie Chevy week, Ford week, Mopar week, etc.
Funny about the 9000 spaces....I just read a thread on the Hamb about the Pate swap meet, and one of the directors for that meet said they annually sold 9000 spaces.....which I thought was really high.
Thanks Rich. You and I have been to the Paste Swap meet, and I would agree that 9000 spaces seems high. My hunch is they "might" have 9000 spaces, but I have serious doubts about them selling 9000 spaces.
As to the Hershey Swap Meet. To my limited knowledge it is all marques of cars and trucks.Those that have attended say it is over whelming. I'm looking forward to being over whelmed.Still do not have a clear answer on how vendors are are grouped, if they are grouped at all.
Hopefully those in the know will educate me.
John

Lou

Other than the famous "PACKARD ROW" I don't know of any other grouping at Hershey. At one time one of the venders sold a directory of venders, I don't know if one is still printed, maybe the AACA  prints somekind of a program.

RICH MUISE

Yep, I was thinking of Carlisle.
John...I may be at the Goodguys on Friday and Saturday...not 100% sure yet. If I do make it for Friday, it may be early afternoon before I get there as I probably will drive there from Amarillo that morning (350 miles). My cell is 806-341-2036
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-25 21:53
Yep, I was thinking of Carlisle.
John...I may be at the Goodguys on Friday and Saturday...not 100% sure yet. If I do make it for Friday, it may be early afternoon before I get there as I probably will drive there from Amarillo that morning (350 miles). My cell is 806-341-2036
Rich, I'll be there Friday till say around six, as I'm meeting a fella from the Houston area that has made the wiring harness for my 351 EFI and 4R70W transmission. My cell is 502 773 05 nine two.
John

SkylinerRon

Got back from Hershey Sunday. The fleamarket is at least 9000 spaces plus the car corral and the show. All on pavement
except for the parking areas they are on grass.  Takes 4 days to walk it.
Carlisle is 8100 spaces but, that includes the car corral.

Ron.

KYBlueOval

I arrived back from Hershey on Sunday as well. Perfect weather. No rain. No admission fee. $15.00 parking fee. MY take on Hershey is this ( others may not agree )..........if you are building a pre-war car Hershey is the place to be. I spoke with many vendors and they all had much the same response about the difference between Hershey and Carlisle (Carlisle was the week prior)............Carlisle being more late model ( post war ). So next year it's Carlisle. A Hershey area member of the AACA told me of the 9000 spaces there are about 4000 vendors. He also said that there is 36 miles of walking to see it all. I did not see it all !!
My knees were screaming at the end of each day!
I did make a few good buys. The only vendor I saw selling replacement panels had some '57 panels......and I bought them. Saw two item worth remembering........a V16 Lycoming Marine Motor  $135,000.00 and a sold sign on a 30's era car ,asking price was $435,000.00!
I can now take Hershey off my bucket list, and add Carlisle.
John

SkylinerRon

Most vendors get 2 or more spaces at the big meets. Some east coast vendors travel to Englishtown, Carlisle, Hershey and Charlotte with one trip.
Carlisle is much more post war parts and manufacturers midway. (Although Dennis Carpenter pulled out this year.)
57 NOS parts are getting very rare these days. Back in the 80's & 90's you could find tons of the stuff, not now.
Are the mid west and west coast meets any better?

Ron.

BWhitmore

The big west coast swap meets (Pomona, Long Beach, and Portland) are very lean on 57 Ford parts. A lot of pre-war reproduction parts.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2016-10-14 00:53
The big west coast swap meets (Pomona, Long Beach, and Portland) are very lean on 57 Ford parts. A lot of pre-war reproduction parts.
Of the three you listed..........in your opinion, which is best? I've attended the L.A. Roadster Show and walked the swap meet .......how does Pomona compare, if you know ? Am I correct that Pomona has many dates through out the year? What can you tell me about Long Beach and Portland?
Thanks
John

Zapato

Been going to Portland almost yearly since 1976. Seem to almost always find what I want or need. Often the parts are not there but the contacts are made and parts are bought later.  In the past have worn hats with parts wanted and year and make embroidered on them, or hung sign  on my backpack. It has helped often get pointed in the right direction. Been my experience that after awhile specially on tables full of mixed stuff that I miss a lot of stuff. Then a vendor will point out a piece or two that could be or is a 57 part. Years back used to bring my older brother with me. He's about as much a non car guy as can be. But show him a picture of a part or two and he'd find it. And boy did he love to dicker on price. Alzheimer's has hit him early and while he enjoys the outing he gets frustrated by the crowds.

Have come to believe swap meets are not so much about bringing parts home on any given day. More and more is about making and renewing contacts. If 50 guys know you are looking for an item it really increases ones odds. And with cell phones and texting with attachments it's a whole different game.

An old friend of mine, long gone, once told me size or location doesn't make a swap meet good. It's only good if you find what you need at a price  you can handle.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

BWhitmore

The meet at Pomona is scheduled every 3 months or so.  This meet will take a full 6-8 hours to walk the  entire meet.  A lot of dealers selling repro items and some non-auto items.  Large number of cars for sale (400+). 

The Long Beach meet is held about every two months.  Smaller than Pomona - allow about 4  hours to walk Long Beach.  More individual sellers.  Specific 57 Ford parts are few.