News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Arizona boneyards

Started by Frankenstein57, 2016-10-24 14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I'm on vacation in the Phoenix area for 10 days, I've been to Desert Valley Auto Parts,  is there  any recommendations for old car trolling?  We are heading South to Rocky point Mexico tomorrow for 3 days. Maybe something along the way worth checking out?  Car themed diners? Rich probably has a few, thanks in advance, Mark

RICH MUISE

Good to hear from you, Mark....Which Desert Valley lot did you go to? The one in the North of Phoenix is mostly 60's and up, but lots of project cars so very interesting to walk thru. The one with all the older cars, including '57's is in Casa Grande about an hour south of Phoenix...right off I10. I've never been to it, but near the Casa Grande lot somewhere is a museum by the guy (Ernie something?)that builds incredible 1/2(?) scale replicas of classics from scratch...and they're street legal! I'll see what I can find for info on that.
Other than that, it's mostly whatever cruises and shows are going on in the Phoenix area, but the weekly Saturday afternoon/early evening cruise at the Pavilions in Scottsdale is a definite not-to-miss.
Here's a good website for Arizona happenings. click on the events drop down menu.
http://arizonaautoscene.com/events/
I don't have any local speed shops, so I always make it a point to drop in on the Socal speed shop on McDowell. If you get there, check out their back lot. They're pretty up on what's going on around Phoenix, so ask, and pick up the local hot rodder's newspaper. There use to be a classic car dealer a few miles down the street from Socal, in fact Lorne from BC bought his there, but they moved or went out of business.
Mark...check back, I'm on a forum with several Phoenix guys, I'll see what I can find out, and especially why the Pavillion cruise is not listed in the events list.
Update...another link has the Pavilions cruise in Scottsdale info:
http://cruisinarizona.com/cruisenites.htm
update #2...info on Ernie Banks's Dwarf Car Museum:
http://www.dwarfcarmuseum.com/
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Funny...at the crusinarizona website for the "rock and roll cruise at the Pavilions"...click on the "picture" at the end of the typed info. See that big dirt lot behind the stores at the top of the pic? That is now the spring training complex of the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Colorado Rockies. Has been for at least 3 or 4 years now.
BTW, if you run out of things to do in Phoenix and want a great day trip, Sedonna is just a few hours North off I 17. One of the prettiest places in the entire country. Lots of resteraunts and gift shops to keep the other 1/2 happy.
I did a post on the other forum asking aboput where to look/go for "car trolling". I'll let you know what I find out
:burnout: tourguide Rich

RICH MUISE

Lots of Phoenix guys on the Hamb. The guy that runs the 52-59 social club told me the best guy to contact to find out what's going on there. I did, and he said since the place I mentioned is gone, most of the stuff is private, so it's craigslist, etc. He did verify there's lots of stuff there, but not knowing what your looking for he told me to pass his number on to you and call him if there's anything specific you need to know about. His number is posted on the Hamb, so I'll just put it here instead of sending you a pm. His name is Chip (Hamb tag Need louvers?) 602-881-0175
He said the best diner for car stuff (food and lots of gatherings/events) is the "5 and diner" at 16th and Colter in Phoenix.

Frankenstein57

Rich, , thanksfor the Replies . Last year I went to the Desert Valley yard with the 60s cars, this spring we went to the yard with the 57s.  Fun day, lots of parts. I have some pictures of the various ac units I found in the 57s. I've heard about the guy who builds the dwarf cars, need to see that. Besides the Pavillion,  we hit the cruzin at Phils show at Fountain Hills. Tomorrow we are going to Rocky point , Mexico. We'll have to keep our eyes open for old cars.  We also did a 2 day trip to sedona last spring, one of the most aamazing places I've ever been to.  Took a helicopter ride through the red rock, thanks for your input,  Mark