News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cutting keys for the doorlocks ?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-01 14:37

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

My 57 wagon is missing the key for the doorlocks/tailgate. is there any business that can cut the new key blank accordingly to the 5 digit number stamped on the lock cylinder ?

RICH MUISE

Years ago when I was moving from Colorado to Texas, I couldn't find the keys to the '57. They got packed apparently and had no clue which of a hundred or so boxes they were in. I called an old locksmith and he had new keys made in a half hour or so for both the ignition and door locks. He just hand filed them!! 30 bucks well spent in view of the fact I needed to move the car to storage quickly.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

If you can't find an old school locksmith in you area you can mail the locks to Jay, I'm sure he will know where to get them done  :003: I can't remember if the numbers on the casting are a code or just a part number?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

My guess is they are a pn. I think my my new repop door locks came with a metal tag stamped with a number, which I assume was a key code. Posibly a call to a place like Classic Auto Parts, where I think I got mine, or Dennis Carpenter will have some info on how to use that key code. Gunter, I will make the calls tomorrow if it'll help.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

Worse come to worse, Mac's out of Lockport New york has the lock cylinder and key set for both doors at a decent price.

Ford Blue blood

I read somewhere that the numbers on the passenger door lock were the key code....just can't remember where so I can't verify that.  The 300 I parted the ignition key and the door locks are the same.  Have not pulled the passenger door lock to see if that lock has a number on it.  Just know the key operates both.  The trunk and glove box were the same but they are long gone so I can't look at the cylinders for them.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

SkylinerRon

Any Locksmith shop can make a key to the lock.
If you have AAA they have the service.

Ron.

BWhitmore

djfordmanjack

thanx everybody for the quick answers. Yes, my location is the main problem. Since these cars were only sold here in small numbers I doubt that a lock smith over here would be able to cut a key according to the number.
Ford Blue Blood, that's exactly what I found my locks to be. the pssgr lock has a 5 digit code ( 2 letters 3 numbers) stamped and I assume that it is the key code, not a part number. its starts FL***
I have had keys made for my classic Volkswagens according to the numbers only. They are readily available, and I had a key cut for a 1954 ign lock by a company from California WITHOUT them having the actual lock, just the number and it's working.
That's why I thought that some of you guys would have had their keys cut to their old locks before, maybe.
If possible I'd like to reuse the og old locks.The door key is lost. It seems that my car is very original and all the door, gate and glovebox locks could still be og.
I will go visit the locksmith anyways, who knows what he can do.
I have reset tumblers and filed keys for other car locks before, but I fear with the pressed pewter design of the 57 locks, they will get destroyed before I can get access to the tumblers.

Ecode70D

Guenter
      Like I stated in my email this morning. 

This is what I always do.  Dump all of the tumblers into a bowl and rearrange them to fit the ignition key.   This way, you know for sure that it works.   There is nothing to it and nothing has to be filed.

These two people below do 1930s to 1950s Ford keys
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Flat Head Coupe    (name unknown)  919 559 5774
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Phil   845 475 3546 Home
     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
     When the car arrives, give me the code numbers and I'll make the arrangements to have the keys made and sent to me here in the states just in case they don't want to do out of country business.

djfordmanjack

Jay, I got good news. Just came in from visiting the local locksmith and he CAN cut keys to the code that is stamped on the lock. Looked it up in the computer and told me he found it. this is a small world today....I will have to wait until the 'other set of locks' is here and I only have one key blank left now, so I will preorder a second one so I can have 2 keys made by the locksmith.
Thanx to everybody for their input. I didn't think they would be able to cut the keys right here.
Anyways now we got the confirmation that the number stamped on the pssgr door lock is indeed the key code.

btw Jay, I ws referring to the door locks only. The 1957 ignition key has a different profile than the door one and will not even go in the door lock. 

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-11-02 08:14
btw Jay, I ws referring to the door locks only. The 1957 ignition key has a different profile than the door one and will not even go in the door lock.
Somebody must have changed the ignition switch or door locks, they should be the same??
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

On my Ranchero, that was all original, the door locks and ignition switch all used the same original 1957 key.

Ecode70D

Guenter
     My door keys  and ignition keys  have matching side slots that line up the same

It is my  trunk lock that is smooth on the sides and does not slide into the ignition and doors.

Then again, who knows what was changed on these cars over the years. 

Jay

djfordmanjack

well I am confused....The keys for the door locks and ignition in my Del Rio will not interchange. Possibly the ignition switch has been replaced before? I thought they had different keys for locks and ign. I have learned something again! Jay, now I understand what you mean by changing the tumblers in the ign lock cylinder and make them fit the door lock key.