Picked up a 59' parts car, what 59' parts to save for my 57'?

Started by Gibson68, 2016-11-04 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibson68

I picked up a 59' parts car last week from a old farmer. What parts on the 59' are an upgrade/interchange with the 57's? I read a thread that said the 59' hood latch is much better than the 57' so it has me wondering now. I posted the car on "non 57' parts" section before I thought about parts that may work on my car.

Ecode70D

They say that the 58-59 steering box is an improvement over the 57 with its recirculating bearings.  You might want to save that because it is a bolt in.  Make sure that you save the pitman arm steering column and steering wheel also.

lalessi1

The hood latch is also a BIG improvement. I would also save the upper control arms with the pivot arms and bushings. If you think you can adapt the '59 sway bar to the '57 save all of that stuff too. The turn signal switch and the horn bushing contact plate should be used with the steering box, the '57 column can be adapted.
Lynn

Zapato

If it has the optional electric wipers grab it and everything that goes with it.

Zap -  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

lalessi1

Quote from: Gibson68 on 2016-11-04 20:28
I picked up a 59' parts car last week from a old farmer. What parts on the 59' are an upgrade/interchange with the 57's? I read a thread that said the 59' hood latch is much better than the 57' so it has me wondering now. I posted the car on "non 57' parts" section before I thought about parts that may work on my car.

The '57 latch has 2 spring loaded pivot arms that interact. The '59 has one. They look almost the same, but the '59 will close with a touch compared to a "slam" for the '57. There are pics in other threads....
Lynn