News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Padded dash question

Started by Ron, 2016-11-04 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

My '57 Ranch Wagon came with a padded dash which I didn't like and removed before the car got a new coat of interior paint.  Now I've got the wagon back with a nice looking "conventional" steel dash with a fresh coat of paint.  Problem now is that the interior molding (garnish molding) that fits between the dash and the bottom of the windshield does not line up properly, nor do the bottom of the vertical pieces on the A pillars.  I should of thought of this before, but I didn't, so now I'm wondering if the "fix" is a matter of finding molding pieces from a '57 with a steel dash, or is the solution more complicated than this (probably)?  Thanks for any suggestions, Ron.

hindsight57

With a metal dash, there is a continuous rubber strip that fits between the garnish moldings and the dash... available from the 57 parts suppliers. Without the rubber strip, you probably have a little gap between the garnish moldings and the dash.

Manny

Ron

Manny

My garnish molding from the padded dash has those same rubber pieces, so apparently they were used with both padded and metal dashes.  I've been searching the web for pictures of '57 wagon dashboards and have noticed that the padded dashes came with a stainless trim piece that runs all along the dash above the radio, clock, heater controls, etc., and even flares up in a decorative pattern under the vertical garnish molding pieces that screw into the A pillars.  My car, which came from the factory with the padded dash, has that piece installed.  I am continuing to search for a few more pictures on the web to be sure,  but I think I have to remove that trim piece on my dash in order for the garnish moldings to fit properly.  If that's the answer to why my garnish molding is not lining up and fitting the way it should, I'll have some holes to fill and a dash to repaint, but that's not a big issue at this stage of my re-assembly project. 

Thanks, Ron...

Ron

Manny

Just fyi, I removed the decorative stainless trim from the dash that apparently came only with the padded dash option and now the garnish molding pieces are lining up as they should.  The rubber inside the molding you mentioned is hard and brittle, though, so this part of my project won't get done until the new rubber pieces that I ordered this afternoon get here from Dennis Carpenter. 

Thanks for your input to my post. 

Ron...

57chero

If you go to the general discussion section I posted a picture of my ranchero interior regarding the ranchero interior trim question, mine also had a padded dash originally so I left the trim pieces and didn't have a problem with the other trim pieces fitting.

RICH MUISE

I actually went the other way (what else is new,lol). I added 1/2 dense padding to my dash and was totally surprised when all the window garnish rails and pillar cover fit with no mods. I did not use/install the rubber gasket though.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Rich, how did you apply the foam padding to the dash, stick it on with glue ? Are there photos somewhere in your build threads? I would also love to reapply padding without spending $500 for a ne repro black one.

RICH MUISE

Basically, yes...a glue down, but believe me that way oversimplifies the process. Even a low density foam is gonna fight you forming around all those bends and curves.
Mine was only doable without an upholsterer I believe because I reshaped my dash minimizing the contours that the materials had to be formed around. After I reshaped the dash, I spent what seemed a zillion hours getting both the low density foam glued down, 5 or 6 coats of liquid rubber (roofing supply)applied to firm up the foam, then smoothed off, and stretching the vinyl over it. It takes an unusually stretchable vinyl and you have to be very aware of which way you're cutting the material because it stretches more one way than the other. Also have to be very careful how you start gluing down...can't start on the flat area, have to start with the material already starting to go around the "bends", if that makes any sense. Have to keep reapplying glue as your going because the contact cement is only effective for a few hours. I think it took about 5 or 6 hours just to apply the vinyl.
Years ago I saw an article on how they manufactured the repops, and it is done with a vacumn enclosure system...similar to the storage bags you see where you hook up a vacumn cleaner to the bag after it's packed and suck all the air out. It pulls the vinyl down against the supported foam.
Very very difficult job to do with results barely acceptible. Best way is to have an upholsterer do it with sewn seams. If I could sew, that's what I would have done.
I've got pics, but it'll take a while to find them.

gasman826

I sympathize with your efforts.  I wanted to put a TBird dash in my '57.  Good luck finding a '65 Thunderbird dash that isn't cracked or the right color or that fits a '57.  I joined about three inches of the firewall side of a '57 dash to the 'Bird dash.  After stripping off the foam, the leading edge of the donor dash was a sharp edge of the flat sheet metal.  I molded in 1/2 tubing to soften the leading edge.  High density, 1/2" foam was glued and molded over the top and leading edge of the dash.  Using a 5" course grinding disc, several areas were shaped.  The vinyl is a thick, high quality, stretchable type.  There is a French seam running the entire leading edge.  It took three of us most of the day to glue, apply, steam, and stretch the cover over the many contours of the TBird dash.  Fortunately, the Thunderbird dash has conveniently located stainless trim for covering starting/stopping points.

RICH MUISE

You did a great job on that Gary! I had assumed you had a great dash to start with...apparently not!

djfordmanjack

wow that looks gorgeous. I also have a 65 Tbird dash but plan on using it in a future HotRod build, not in a 57. did the dashpad on my 62 Comet, but it has a much simpler shape than a 57. I also used very soft and stretching vinyl, but used 1/2" thick fleece instead of foam. Just recently came across this 57 for sale on ebay and it has a very nice custom upholstered dashpad. Maybe the rolls and pleats are not to everybodys taste, but then again they cover up some of the wrinkles on the difficult areas.
not my car, just what I found on the internet. still interested in how yours came out Rich.

RICH MUISE

"still interested in how yours came out Rich.".........
I could only find a few pics. The first third one shows the dash ready for the vinyl with the rubber roofing coating over the low density foam. I cannot emphasize enough how much this improves the feel of the padding. I think it substantially adds to the safety factor for the padded dash.
next pic shows the original tan vinyl installed. LOL...I had forgotten that I did the dash twice. At some point I decided I didn't like the tan color I was using and drove to Dallas to find something in a softer color.....and spent another few days recovering. Found some pics of the dash/console progression..so here they all are.

RICH MUISE

found some more probably never posted here. This sure was a time for many projects coming to a head.......... wiring, A/C mounting/vents,windshield washer hard arms and motor relocation,steering column mounting and functionality, etc etc

RICH MUISE

getting astray here, lol....
Every show I go to, somebody will ask what the dash and console came out of.

djfordmanjack

what a huge amount of work involved here!!! I like the idea of using rubber coating on the foam. I will have to rethink my strategy a few times.