News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Eye candy from the Moose!!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-11-05 21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hamb members know how fantastically talented The Moose is. Aside from his long running contributions to the "photoshop thread to end all", last week he started a new thread asking guys what their dream build is...assuming we won the lottery and money was no object.
My reply was....
"In 1957, Ford had the 70A Custom (mine), 70BCustom 300, and 70D Business sedan. Rumors have it the missing 70C was to be a Custom Convertible....the missing link between the longer Fairlane Convertibles and the T-Bird. So, if I had another build in me and I won your lottery it would be a contemporary Custom 300 soft top powered by a 427sohc . Sure would like to see a photoshop. You did a ghost flame job for me on mine while back, Moose.
AS long as we're dreaming....Interior would have to be like in this flawless 59 Buick at the Lonestar Goodguys"
A scant few days later, this appeared on the thread.....
The second pic is the '59 Buick's interior I was refering to
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Yep...I know what I said about the 70C maybe being the missing convertible doesn't make sense because the "70" was the model designation for the 2 dr sedan, a  Custom convertible would have had a different number all together.

Lou

I always wanted to build a 300 convertible in stock form, and tell everyone it was a prototype that never got into production.

hiball3985

I wonder if a 300 conv would need an X frame?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

I would think so.  The stock frame is a "perimeter" style with only the transmission and shock cross members to keep it stiff.  Not to worry about sag, twist would be the killer.  The top on sedans and hard tops do a bunch to keep the thing from twisting.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I have thought about building one and decided the best way to go would be to graft a Custom rearend to a Fairlane converible. Just a mental exercise for me unless I win the lottery. Cool to see that picture!
Lynn

Contibob

There is a guy in the High Desert that sells 57 Ford parts and has a great collection of 57's. He actually built a 300 convertible. I have never seen it but heard he did do it.

Ford Blue blood

The floor pans are different, the rear seat sits more upright in the convertibles, the top of the quarters is completely different.

If it were me (and it won't be) I would start with grafting an X member in to stiffen the chassis.  Set the body back down, cut the roof off, graft a convertible windshield frame on, and then modify the inner structure to mimic the 500s inner structure.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

yep, exactly...then figure out how/where to get the soft top mechanism. For some reason I'm thinking the second generation T-bird might be something to look into for some donations. Too bad they were Uni-bodies, might have had something to offer for the frame also.

ragtop

www.kolars.1957fordparts.com I think its the link to see his 300 convert. has some photos and small video of the car he built

Lou

The Custom and 300 have the same wheel base as a 52 thru 56 Ford, I would use a 55/56 Conv  frame, and graft in the 56 top, windshield, rear windows, top mech.to the custom body shell.

ragtop

kolars car he built  with a good 300 and good convert. and 10000.00 he will build you one

Lou

Would look better with custom 300 trim.

rmk57

I think Ford got it right with the Fairlane platform from the start. The longer trunk big back bumper just makes it look more luxurious. The custom convert looks bare, it really needs more bling, at least like what was said the 300 side trim.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

I'm a little out there with the big back bumper.  The 58 500 bumper is much more attractive on the 57s IMHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero