News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Wow, what a piece of steel! :119: that is really solid and well made!!!
Nevermind hijacking a thread Bob,if it fits here it belongs here. Sometimes it's difficult to find older tech posts though, when they are into somebody's build thread. Maybe we should open a new topic for the rearview mirrors. It seems that many owners find it difficult to place them, but obviously there are as many different solutions as 57 Fords... :003:

hiball3985

G, sometimes my old eyes overlook the obvious but I didn't see any provision for safety chains on your hitch set up?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-05-03 20:36
South Lousiana must be a third world country! You should see what a trailer hitch is here... :003:

and a tow bar....(long chain and a piece of pipe)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

The pipe is an optional safety feature.

djfordmanjack

haha... poor Lynn....

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-04 06:57
G, sometimes my old eyes overlook the obvious but I didn't see any provision for safety chains on your hitch set up?
Jim, safety chain provisions are not mandatory in Europe. European trailers have a brake wire loop, that simply goes over the hitch. In case it gets lost the wire activates the trailer brakes. still a good idea to use safety chains, even if they are not mandatory. If you look at my hitch from below you see a 1/2" round stock bar welded to it, would be a good place to fasten safety chains.

Concerning my carb Jim, I found out the carb on the car is a later rebuilt unit and not the 57. The 57 Holley would not have the adjustable float needle and fuel level plug. That's why the manual didn't say anything about it.
I did adjust it today, as it was low, but it is difficult. as soon as I set it to the lower plug hole level, the float hits top of the fuel bowl and not closing the valve completely, and fuel comes out of all the vents. No way to keep the engine running. I set it lower again and I will have to pull the fuel bowl, float and whatnot as I think incorrect parts have been used to assemble this carb. maybe the float arm is bent or whatever. Engine is still running nicely with lower fuel bowl level, but I want it factory specs.

djfordmanjack

NOS idler arm kit I got from John Gambill. FoMoCo. perfect fit.

Time for another oil change and the rocker assemblies are much cleaner than last time !

back home from another 20 miles test run.

hiball3985

G, that interesting about chains aren't required. They are mandatory here in Calif even if you have an electrical breakaway.
I just assumed you knew that wasn't an original carb or they put a different bowl on it. God only knows what combination of parts someone put together..  Did you get the number off the air horn to see what it might be?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

yes I need to study the air horn numbers. I will need to order a rebuild/gasket kit before pulling the bowl.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-05-05 02:09
yes I need to study the air horn numbers. I will need to order a rebuild/gasket kit before pulling the bowl.
Whats nice about the new gaskets are they are reusable, and don't have leaks like the old style, I've had my bowl off a few times now to change jetting.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

The PO put a rebuild kit in the carb, but I have no way of knowing if they are the reusable type of gaskets. I will order that type.
for now it runs and idles so much better than in the beginning, so it's ok for the moment. emission test showed 2.9%CO and 150 HC, which is phenomenal for such an old engine. The fiddling with carb and ignition really paid off today. Also the whole car passed the 1 hour tech inspection today without any problems, only complaint being a dime sized hole in the battery tray........do I have to say more about European bureaucracy ?:003:
Now that the 57 has a tech check OK, we need to wait for an appointment with a federal officer and their inspector to get car papers and a registration permit. After that I can register it, and my wallet will be empty....hahaha.....

djfordmanjack

BTW Jim, I observed that there probably is a foam float in the carb, what should originally be a hollow brass float. It seems the float touches the ceiling in the bowl, before it can fully close the needle valve when fuel level is adjusted to lower edge of inspection hole, that's why the engine soaks with gas at that fuel bowl level (needle valve will not fully shut off fuel supply). I did back it off a little and it's all good. I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket float would be off in shape somewhat and rendering the carb non functional at proper adjustment. Today's repro stuff mostly is crap. Again, whatever NOS or NORS parts I used in this build would be a 100% bolt on fit and not a single aftermarket item that didn't need fiddling.

lalessi1

Foam floats will become saturated over time and they will actually sink after a time.

Guenter that photo of the wagon after the test run expresses our love for the cars better than anything I have seen or read. It is art at its best...
Lynn

hiball3985

Congratulations of getting it passed inspection. If we inspections like that half the cars would be off the road  :003:

I've had good luck with the none brass floats, don't know what the material is. The brass floats don't last, the Ethanol eats up the solder were the two halves are connected. I don't know if Holley has different shaped floats available?

looks like a few to chose from. They have used the wrong one, internal adjustment vs external ?
www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/floats_fuel_bowls_and_components/floats/
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

thanx a lot Jim, I wouldn't even have thought that Holley had these in their own online shop. you are definitely very knowledgable and experienced with these carbs!
I will study these floats and see what's the right one for my application. I am pretty sure there will be an odd float problem inside the bowl as with the plugged vent.
Jay possibly has a core or project carb that might be a good donor.
Lynn, I am not sure if that photo is art, But I think it captures what most of us car guys can refer to. Taking the recently finished project out for its first longer drive, having accomplished and repaired a lot and returning home with a feeling that says 'Now we are ready to hit the road'. I confess that this is the time when you sit in the lawn chair and open up a beer :003:

djfordmanjack

this is a little safety item. Since original vintage fire extinguishers might be useless in a worst case I opted to dress up a new one. (kept the actual date and production code sticker on the rear). The universal repro sticker is available from a company from England and looks somewhat period correct. Now it looks ok and can easily be reached, and it's not cutting in pssgr legroom at all. sure hope it won't be needed, but worst case it's there and can be reached in a second.( it's not even necessarily the own car and life we need to save).