News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I remember scraping sludge on many engines, in the heads, valve train and in the valleys and wasn't just Fords.. I never minded the old ladies with the oil kits, it was from the negative comments from the GM guys, I still hear about it today when I mention Y blocks  :angry5:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

if it wasn't for the sludge, the Y block is as bullet proof as they come. The rocker assemblies were built to last for decades on proper lubrication. It's incredible how long they last even without lubrication.
either you love'm or hate'm. I sure love Y blocks. That sound is music in my ears. same firing order as a Flathead Ford. What's not to love about them....
When (Chevy) people call those old Fords slouches, they never learned how to shift that old Fordomatic or maintain them to peak performance.
My old wagon is just a 60 year old beater with a 292 and 2bbl but it sure spins the tires on take off and when shifting into second, if need be. I am totally surprised about the power, torque and sounds this old engine delivers. At the same time it cruises easily at 20mph or less. That's what I like best.

Contibob

Guenter, I am with you, I love my Y-Blocks. I have never had any problems with them. The power is more than enough for me and the sound is amazing. The old beater 4dr Fairlane 500 I have cruises down the highway at 70, 75 mph and gets 18 mpg on the highway. 312, 4bl, Fordomatic.

mustang6984

Once you get the oil passages cleaned out well...a way to keep them that way is to add a quart of Rislone to your oil about 2-3 days before you change it. Rislone is a really high detergent oil additive. Great for keeping an engine clean. I used to drive 50k a year on my little 2300 4-cylinder.
Those engines in their early rendition had a inclination to plug up the rear oil passage at the top of the head where the cam is oiled. Using the Rislone religiously allowed me to get 150-200k out of those engines. A head rebuild and back on the road. Machinist I used was the one who told me about it. I still. do that on my cars today. My wife's '98 Explorer just rolled over 300k this weekend...and still runs like new.
Also...in addition to the sludge Quaker State, Pennzoil is a paraffin sludge maker. Both come from oil fields with a lot of natural wax in them. (i used to work in the oil fields in my misspent youth.  LOL!!!)
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

detergent oil seems very appropriate even for our old engines. Jay emphasizes on using it as well.
The problem starts when they wash out chunks of coal and sludge on an old neglected engine like mine. There were great results on major areas on this actual engine, but there is no way they will clean out the sludge trapped in those small passages and oil feeds.
I wanted to spare you this view, but there you go. nuff said... :002:

mustang6984

Good thing I already had dinner! LOL!!! I was thinking of that treatment more for when you got everything all cleaned out...to maintain things in pristine condition. Although, consistent use over time will help as well in cleaning it out. Rislone is more detergent than oil. It REALLY clean things out. You wouldn't want to use more than the one quart.
I once knew a guy who once put 5 quarts in his engine thinking it would be perfect for keeping things clean as new. Eh...not a good idea. In short order he had no bearings left. Not enough oil base for that sort of thing. Which is why I said to only use the one quart and only for a couple of days before changing your oil. Kind of like Roto-Rooter for the engine! Hehehehe.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

good tip, Hugh. I will look for Rislone. sometimes less is more they say... :003:
the 292 will get a full overhaul some time later, possibly one of next winters. That'll be the only way to get out all of the old dirt.

mustang6984

I like those old "Y" blocks. One of these days I want to build a car with one. The Courier will be receiving an FE-390 w/ 406 tri-power, topped with 428 heads and feeding 428 exhaust manifolds. The heads will be dressed with a pair of Cobra valve covers from around 62 or so that I have been hauling around behind me since '71. Oh so sweet!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Just love the Y's and always have, I've had several over the years but they have all been 292 and I have never have owned a 312. I've built a dozen over the years for myself and friends. I'm in the process of building one right now. I have no use for it yet, just a little side project to tinker with just because I can and can't stay away from them  :burnout:.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-10 08:48
Just love the Y's and always have, I've had several over the years but they have all been 292 and I have never have owned a 312. I've built a dozen over the years for myself and friends. I'm in the process of building one right now. I have no use for it yet, just a little side project to tinker with just because I can and can't stay away from them  :burnout:.

Its an addiction! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2017-05-10 01:25
Once you get the oil passages cleaned out well...a way to keep them that way is to add a quart of Rislone to your oil about 2-3 days before you change it. Rislone is a really high detergent oil additive. Great for keeping an engine clean. I used to drive 50k a year on my little 2300 4-cylinder.
Those engines in their early rendition had a inclination to plug up the rear oil passage at the top of the head where the cam is oiled. Using the Rislone religiously allowed me to get 150-200k out of those engines. A head rebuild and back on the road. Machinist I used was the one who told me about it. I still. do that on my cars today. My wife's '98 Explorer just rolled over 300k this weekend...and still runs like new.
Also...in addition to the sludge Quaker State, Pennzoil is a paraffin sludge maker. Both come from oil fields with a lot of natural wax in them. (i used to work in the oil fields in my misspent youth.  LOL!!!)

I've run mostly Pennzoil for 40 + years.  I've never lost a bearing but religiously changed my oil.  I did cheat and poured two quarts of diesel through the crankcase at each oil change to remove the sludge.  I know I've been lucky as I seem to get the most out of each engine.  Many people even thought I ran a V-8 in my Pinto. I know there were/are better oils out there but it worked for me.  I now use whatever the dealer adds at the oil changes.   

I also had a misspent youth, where in I worked in a body shop.  One day the owner had me drain the oil from his 63 Impala and add a gallon of lacquer thinner and instructed me to start it.  I refused so he started it and let idle for about 1/2 hour, that's when I told him he had a rod knocking.  He had a different car the next morning!  I laugh about that every time I think of it   
Terry

mustang6984

Lacquer thinner? OOOOOOOooooooooooooooookay....wonder what that train of thought was? LOL!!!

I bought a car that had been used as a race car. The guy swore by Pennzoil...I tore the motor down...and sludge was more dominate that oil. Same with each engine I ever tore down that had run that stuff. When I went to the oil field, I got an education. LOL!!! No more for me. Although I am sure your habits probably alleviated much of that potential problem.

Lacquer thinner eh? LOL!!! He must have had some serious hate for that car!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

We could start a whole new post on home remedies  :003: Back in the 50's with all the sludge oils hydraulic lifter problems were common. We use to add a quart of ATF to the oil and drive it a few hundred miles and some times it actually worked to free them up.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    I like that idea.  That's  the method I'll use the next time I have a Y  with dry rockers.   It never dawned on me to soften  the blockage and use the oil pressure to blow it out.     

djfordmanjack

Guys, here's a good-morning riddle for you. The first one to name the problem gets a forum applaud for free :003: