News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I thought I was the only one who spent more time looking for stuff than actually doing stuff.

Lynn

djfordmanjack

The seatbelts are more recent aftermarket, not oem Ford accessories.

Guys, I spent many a 12 hours day with the CS lately and confessing I took much more time off regular work than I'd like to admit.(I do make records of the working hours and there are slightly over 500hrs in the CS starting in November last year :confused2: :notallthere:).
Since all the welding worked out so well in winter, I decided a few weeks ago that I quickly wanted to take the wagon to a level where it could be left alone for quite some time afterwards and making it a reliable and somewhat decent driver. It would have been embarassing to have another project car spread in parts all over the place. Since this car is going to stay with me for hopefully a looooong time there will be many occasions for smaller rolling restoration projects and bigger overhauling projects in future winter seasons.
For now the last major thing to be checked off the list was replacing the warped and frayed beyond repair pssgr door panel.
The water damaged cardboard panels got cut out, but seams left intact, to keep the tension on the threads. replaced soft cardboard padding with fleece and glued it over ABS board. reusing the og clips. the used look fits the character of the car much better, has been there for 60 years and I wouldn't have been able to afford the correct SMS panels anyways.
It's back in the car.

suede57ford

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-05-12 09:11
     Jim
     That's because Günter is still a youngster.  Remember years ago when we used to get a lot of work done in one day?   These days I spend more time looking for the 1/2 inch wrench that I had in my hands two minutes ago and didn't even leave the spot where I was working.   
         Günter.... Continue to get as much done now while you can. You do real good work.   Jay
Last week I walked across the garage to the tool box and forgot what I wanted when I got there  :003: I'm glad to see others have these problems too.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: terry_208 on 2017-05-12 09:19
I didn't realize seatbelts were an option in 57!  I've seen them advertised for the 57 but thought they were aftermarket and not potentially a reproduction.  Nice to know!

While working in the garage I lost a wrench and looked for it for 3 hours.  I couldn't find it so asked my daughter for help.  While I was describing it to her she asked, "Is that it in your hand?"  :burnout:
I think the first seat belt option was 1955.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-12 18:10
Last week I walked across the garage to the tool box and forgot what I wanted when I got there  :003: I'm glad to see others have these problems too.

You FOUND your toolbox? There are days when that alone is an accomplishment!!!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ecode70D

Terry
     Seat belts were an option in 57.  The floor brackets go for crazy money today if you can find them.

FWIW  A couple days ago I was looking for the car keys and couldn't find them anywhere.  After retracing my steps and going back and forth into the house .   They were in my hand all the time.   

djfordmanjack

Jay, you should have simply thrown them on the floor and you would have literally stumbled across them....haha....
at age 43, last time I was looking for my 3/8 wrench, after ten minutes I found it in my hand, together with lots of other junk and screwdrivers.... :003: when you are even younger, todays teenager might not even know what a 3/8 wrench is, so, we are blessed with age...hahaha.....

hiball3985

G, I noticed in on of your pictures the ground strap from the engine to firewall looks like it is on it's last legs. Easy to replace now before you have future electrical problems. I know I should mind my own business but these things just catch my eye..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-05-13 06:00
FWIW  A couple days ago I was looking for the car keys and couldn't find them anywhere.  After retracing my steps and going back and forth into the house .   They were in my hand all the time.

I have eliminated that problem!  Stuff goes to the same place every time I get done using it.  I walk into the house the keys and gun go in the same place first thing.  While in the shop the watch, ring and keys go in the same spot.  In the shop tools go back to their place after use, yes extra steps but I no longer waste time "looking for stuff".  Now mind you it only took me ten years or so to figure this out!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-13 07:44
G, I know I should mind my own business but these things just catch my eye..

Jim
     It's OK for you and me to pick on Günter a little.. .   He didn't give us an applaud and we were both on the right track.    FWIW   I have extra ground straps wherever I can find a spot to put them.  We never have too many of them.
Jay

djfordmanjack

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-13 07:44
G, I noticed in on of your pictures the ground strap from the engine to firewall looks like it is on it's last legs. Easy to replace now before you have future electrical problems. I know I should mind my own business but these things just catch my eye..

Jim, It looks much worse than it actually is. that is just the insulation coming off, the actual copper wire is still very solid. I should pull it and cover it with some new shrinking tubing
Jay, you and Jim got your applaud because you were on the right track. so now I got to find another riddle for tomorrow. I'll go out looking at the CS and I 'm sure there are still some good ones left in the car.... :003:

terry_208

Is insulation really necessary on a ground strap?  After all don't they simply connect one uninsulated piece to another uninsulated piece?
Terry

djfordmanjack

exactly my thought. the only wires that are close to the ground strap are temp and oil gauge and if they really got grounded the only thing that would happen would be an idiot light come on or full sweap on the temp gauge. I think the original insulation was rather for reinforcing reason and I have seen most ground straps are bare metal (cad plated copper) anyways.

djfordmanjack

Jay and Jim, is that what you want to see on my car? :001:

I am sorry that this is not a factory correct part. It's obviously for a 1958 Mercury... :003: