News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Yea...same as in the 390. That is why I used a fuel line to get in there. Found an adapter set for my vacuum and hooked it all together, then stuck that fuel line on the tip and was able to really get in there and suck up some offending material. It is a patience thing...which YOU seem to have plenty of! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Hugh, it is a great idea and I will save that in my imaginary tool cabinet. Sure going to use it one day.

so, did the cleaning help?

Y E S !
:001:

took her on the Autobahn in 85 degree weather and with a modern gauge for reference she kept right at 170 to 180 at 70 mph.
going up a steap climb and a sudden stop only brought her to 200 (which is the right end of the black stripe on the og gauge).
4 miles later she was down to 160 again. no questions anymore about the cooling capacity of the block and radiator.
doing 10 more miles at 90+ wouldn't get her over 190.

next thing to deal wiht is low oil pressure when hot.

mustang6984

SWEET!!! One more thing to check off the aggravation list!  :wav:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ecode70D

Günter
     You did a nice job of cleaning that starter, especially the commutator.   I  notice that you undercut it  also.
      There is nothing like having gauges in the car so you can know what is happening before it is to late.  You will think of some place to put them.    As you already know I like to have them in my cars.
       Hopefully the overheating is past history.
Jay   

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

No- a 292 bored and stroked to 317cui.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-06-14 08:13
No- a 292 bored and stroked to 317cui.
312 crank turned down to fit the 292 block? Sorry if there was a post about this, I either missed it or it faded from my memory..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

exactly that, Jim. + 312 rods. 0.080 over-292 (0.030 over 312-3.83) machined, ported and relieved ECZG heads, Egge pistons, factory 4bbl intake. Isky Cam.
Possibly assembling that engine next winter.
For now I got to cope with this machine here. Now that she's running cool, we got stranded again today with ignition problems. Obviously she doesn't like to get around. 2 hours and a spare distributor later made it back home on 5 or 6 out of 8, JUST....dunno, gotta check everything tomorrow. possibly a faulty coil, resistor, points or capacitor. or all of them. :005:
driving them seriously causes debris on track....

hiball3985

That will make a nice engine. Sorry you are having so many little issues to deal with..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Why is it they can't take a dump close to home?  I think they know when you're on a trip and decide the mess with ya..... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-06-15 06:31
Why is it they can't take a dump close to home?  I think they know when you're on a trip and decide the mess with ya..... :003:

Mine always seem to wait until I am 800-1000 miles from home! UGH!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

There sure is a wicked soul built into each of those old cars. but my old lady is only half bad, she decided to wait for quittin time, right until the right parking spot showed up next to the highway.... :003:
Honestly we have to be greatful when we don't run in dangerous situations and make it home in one piece, even with car on 5 cylinders.
Today saw some troubleshooting action and about half a dozen problems were found. bad points gap, 2 faulty spark plugs, a broken mech advance spring, excessive play in vacc advance, bad connectors, and off timing. I swear  all of those were checked ok a few hundred miles ago. spark plugs go bad, replacement points wear rapidly, old hardware in distributors comes loose in a short time, old sticky grease frees up at high temperature and timing changes with points and whatnot. It's a mystery to me though, how all of that just became evident in that single moment when the engine started misfiring. It brought the car to a stop within 5 miles... :005:
anyways, all of the problems have been adressed and she purrs like a kitten again. has great steady idle now, even in Drive.
Took her out on a 40 miles freeway drive at 65 to 70 mph in 85-90 degree weather and she never got over 175 ! Ha....now it's my time to laugh !!!!! :003: :004:
steady temp reading of slightly over 170, and no more than 175. even stopping form the freeway into traffic lights took her no higher than 190. I can live with that ! Who would have thought that removing a little scale and grime would make that big difference. Well worth all the dirty work!
I am in love again. :002:

djfordmanjack

pics

new spark plugs come with gaps ranging between 0.025 and 0.05 ....horrible stuff. I have never had that with my favorite Champion brand.
the 2 defective old spark plugs (#4 u 7) had more gap than others. so we need to check spark plug gap RELIGIOUSLY !

rolling proof. og temp gauge is pretty accurate, once you know the range. 175 is pretty much in the middle.

hiball3985

You don't see many of those original ball bearing breaker plates any more, lucky you. I can't recall if they were 57 only? I've never seen new plug gaps that far off, at least not on the Autolites I use.
What is the red stuff you are using on the plug threads?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim, I was equally shocked by the bad spark plug gaps. The plugs are brandnew and each came out of their respective cardboard box.
I have 2 sets of NOS UF14Y Champions from the 1950s but I refuse to use and waste them on this well used and somewhat oil burning daily driver engine.
I am just using ultra copper (brake caliper/pads) lube on the plug threads. I have never had one seized or damaging threads in any of my engines. Good stuff.