News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

I just want to know what program you used!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Seems like Photoshop is the go-to nowadays. That would be an awesone, but ambitious project, Gunter. I love your wrap around reshaping of the A-pillar, and the rear fender treatment. With all that work though, why not convert to a 2 door. I realize car guys in countries other than US are not as reluctant to use a 4 door as we are here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I have Photoshop...unless it has been radically changed...that isn't what this was built in.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

No Hugh, this was terrible old ms paint. horrible quality pic, but it was just to figure out some proportions, shouldn't have posted this, it's embarassing. :005:

Rich, like I stated I chose a 4dr ON PURPOSE. I know that many people are building 2drs from cheap 4dr sedans. not my intention. Of course this car was cheap, but I always wanted to build a 4dr HT with a swoopy chop and roof flow. it is also thought of as a 'cruiser' kind of car where you can pile in 6 people and take them for a drive. I know that this is overly ambitious, and I really only want to try some decent metal work on the roof and body and there is not much to lose on this car.

I used the backlite glass for the front (on the computer). Hardened glass will be a problem in reality.

Terry, that is a good point you have, there are some sweet sectioned Shoebox Fords out there and they have a dramatic look to them.
At this point I am not thinking about getting that deeply involved though. I have also no intention to finish this car , ie in totally weatherproofing roll up windows, paint job, full interior etc. It's purely thought of as a testbed for my metal working skills when time allows.

mustang6984

Looks pretty good for MS Paint! Nothing to be ashamed of!   :glasses9:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

Beautiful G!....  you have the vision AND the talent!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

Spent some maintainance time on the Country Sedan for bi annual safety inspection. Got the rear brake shoes and wheel cyl/s replaced ( bonded linings were peeling off, as mentioned in other safety topic). Got the leaky (makeshift) fuel bowl seal replaced with the correct copper strainer and cork gasket ( NORS). No leaking at startup anymore. also got the idler arm seals replaced and everthing greased well including lubing the rear leaf springs. got inspected and ticked off with minor complaints ( crumbling of replacement rubber bushings). good to go until July 2022  :003:

At a side note we got new red inspection stickers. they are remeniscing of the early 1970s when the red inspection stickers became mandatory on annual vehicle inspection. I love my plates.... :001:

Swank

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-06-09 12:54
I chose a 4dr ON PURPOSE.  it is also thought of as a 'cruiser' kind of car where you can pile in 6 people and take them for a drive.

Thats exactly my thinking on my town sedan.   Well. That and i didnt want to mess up a tudor being the first car ive taken completely apart.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

today I had a scary moment with throttle stuck wide open on the Holley 2bbl carb. I have posted it in this topic to warn everybody about hazardous carb problem. please respond at that topic:

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=8391.0

Guys, this is a heads up warning for those who still use an oem or similar 2100 Holley 2bbl carb on their Y blocks.
Today my throttle got stuck wide open twice before I actually knew what was going on. Luckily this happened upon cold start 
and not on the road or in gear. I hope that I did not kill my old Y block as I have never hear that chunk of iron scream that badly...wow...scared to death.
Here is what happened. Please everybody check your accelerator pump 'pushrod' linkage screw and fast idle cam.

there is an adjustable hex screw with spring and shoulder nut below the throttle arm and accelerator pump lever. usually this works as a throw limiting system so when the pump reaches its full stop and the throttle gets opened a little more, the spring will make up for that.
On my carb the screw completely backed out of the shouldered nut, letting it slip to the side and the nut and spring got wedged between the pump lever and throttle arm, so that the throttle and arm got jammed on the plastic fast idle cam.

you would think that it is impossible to happen, but it did twice before I knew where  it actually bound... even though I checked everything the first time. I did not see that loose hex screw because the whole assembly was still in place, but would wedge it self and throttle in wide open at random situation.

I did safety lock it with blue Loctite now and car still runs well again. I thought it must have thrown a rod immediately upon startup.

Everybody please check their fast idle cams and acc pump levers and linkage, NOW !

Be safe !

djfordmanjack

can't believe that I am actually driving this thing daily again !
wow, how I missed that....got 2-1/2 more months to go before winter steps in. and I filled her up quite well. FULL that is ! :003:

ready to GO ! :burnout:

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

yesterday the weather was nice enough to take the CS on a little short 35 miles cruise around the hills around town. As mentioned in another topic, I am always surprised by the great suspension our 57 Fords have. Maybe lowering helps a bit, but the frontend feels extremely solid and steady ( again, compared to other cars of the period). And again and again I am surprised how quick this old 292 is from 40 to 70mph. She really pulls nicely ! obviously this is the best rpm range for torque when the 3spd Fordomatic kicks back into 2nd at 40mph and she will actually never let go of second up to 70. I am not racing this old wagon but sure is a lot of fun of opening up the throttle on empty countryroads, compared to 'traffic light parking' in town. :003:

djfordmanjack

wow, already November !!! and no sun.... !

Not the ideal time of the year for cruising, but I got the '57 out for a 20 mile distance cruise around town anyways. Actually not that cold outside ( 50s F), but nice to have the heater on. Really cozy inside. add some nice Rocking 1950s tunes....what you want more ? Life can be good distancing (sometimes....).
I am still amazed how well the factory '57 heater controls work. sure enough I lubed the cables and replaced the vaccuum and water valves. it can be adjusted with 1 finger. supersmooth. ( I have other vintage cars, where it seems you need to grab the heater adjust with both hands to actually move it)
the '57 vacc/water valve setup might seem a bit complicated at first. But it really works very well. it's nearly as accurate as an electronic temperature control. only that it is fully mechanical and doesn't need sensors and electronic box. no ugly plastic air vents either!  :003: I love it !

hiball3985

I'm glad you are diving it around, I hope to have mine out today and burn off some old fuel. I love the heater in mine, works perfectly but I won't need it today, close to 90 today and tomorrow. Mine is a the really simple version that doesn't use any vacuum, it has a thermocouple that regulates the heat. I got it from Jay :001: and used a new core.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

yeah Jim, glad to hear that you will be getting the Ranchero out ! That's what cars are made for.  :001:
Maybe you are not familiar with the factory 57 heater set up and the vaccuum valve also has a thermostatic (spring loaded) device to adjust temperature. I think they only added the vacc valve for easier operation without breaking your fingers or arms. works well !  :003:

I still have the original heater core in it, date stamped March 1957 !