News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Replacement body panels

Started by JimNolan, 2008-05-20 19:13

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
     Who do I need to order rear quarter panels from. I want to get the best fitting and thickest panels I can get. Some of you guys I know have worked with EMS or Surplus. I just don't know who has the best panels.
   I've never been satisfied with my repaired original quarter panels and I've talked my body man into cutting everything off from the door back and starting over with new panels. He or I don't know who has the best panels though. Any experience out there. Thanks guys. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

I used the ones from Surplus on my last Custom, and they were nice thick metal, but the shape at the rear where it has the compound curve to join the rear pan wasn't right, and required a good bit of cutting and welding just to get it to fit.  In retrospect, I would probably go with the EMS parts, as they are a quality vendor, and you shouldn't have a problem with fit.  Of course, if you just need portions of the panel to use for small patches, or to repair a fender opening, I would probably say go ahead with the surplus parts, as they are a bit less expensive.I will be using the fender opening patch panel to repair about a 2 inch long section in my driver side quarter....Though I may try to salvage a piece of my fordor parts car to repair it, if it is worth saving...nothing like oem metal to repair your old Ford, huh?  Good luck Jim, hope you get her back together by October..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Thanks James,
      I ordered from EMS. The rear quarter came in two sections. Each section was
$155.00 ea. That's twice as much as Surplus wanted, but, the internet search I did on them listed everyone saying they were the best. I hope to have my car back by the end of June. Jim

geraldchainsaw

what does EMS stand for?

KidKourier

Engineering & Manufacturing Services --- Box 24362,Cleveland,Ohio ---44124-0362     "Kid"

JimNolan

James and Gang,
    My buddy's car came back after getting quarter panels replaced from the same place I intended to take my car to. I've decided to do the work myself this winter. I guess I'm too picky. I'll put up with the bubbles coming out in the rear this summer. Besides, I haven't seen anything I couldn't do if given half a chance. I want the panels right. I ordered videos today to learn as much as I can before I start it. Jim 

shopratwoody

Jim, I've redun enough hi dollar body work myself. Good for you. You'll make
like you like.. :003:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Learned a long time ago you can put a lot of material on the floor for the price of one hour of labor!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Ron,
   Update on my panels. They came in. Really nice heavy panels. Have no idea if they'll fit yet but EMS took a lot of pains making them out of really thick 18 gauge metal. Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Thirty years ago, the patch panels you bought at your local paint supply store were made oversize, so you could just put them on over the old rusted panels.  We all know this is the wrong thing to do, but the used car lots of the day didn't care how soon they rusted out again.  If some of the panel companies today are still using those old dies, then the panels are still oversize and will have fitting problems.  Since EMS charges twice as much for their panels, they probably have made new dies and have to recover that cost, but the panels probably fit better.

John

JimNolan

John,
   The panels came in uncoated and they looked like brand new metal. I wanted new panels to begin with and my body man talked me out of it. We've parted ways since then. I find it harder and harder to find straight talking people any more. They want your money but they don't deliver what you thought you paid for. They make you feel like they're doing you a favor to begin with. If I wanted a bondo job I'd have bought the bondo and did it myself.
   Buying the panels from EMS that cost twice as much was a desperate attempt to get good panels. The hot rod shops on TV use them and say their panels are good. I'm not qualified to pass judgement on them yet. But, I will be later.
   As you can tell I'm pretty disgusted with everything except my engine, transmission and interior. And guess what, I did those myself. Jim

meteor

I've got a bunch of floor pieces and rockers from EMS going in my wagon. Don't know yet how they'll fit but I was amazed they had every piece I needed - especially the toe boards and all four rows of floor braces. The stuff is expensive, but I figure it just has to be done so I might as well do it once and do it right.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

GrandpasFord

Hi all, I'm a newbie working on my first project Custom 300 (Tudor) and this discussion was extremely helpful.
I will be starting on the body work this fall and have set this information aside for the future order.
I am looking at a front right panel (only around the light assembly), Floor boards (driver and passenger) and the trunk.

Great information and Great feedback
Thanks again.
Eddy White
Eddy White
57 Ford Custom 300 2-door (Tudor)

JimNolan

Eddy,
   Don't know your experience with putting on body panels. If you're new to it like I am there's a video that you should watch. It's a Paintucation video by Kevin Tetz. It's called Body Panel Replacement. It costs about 60 bucks and has two DVDs in it. It explains and shows different methods of replacing body panels. The DVD's are being sold on Ebay.
   I watch the video and get all pumped up to do the work myself. Then I go out to the car, look at it and wonder what am I thinking. The more I watch the video the more pumped up I get though. My problem is I'm wanting a good job and I'm willing to pay for it. I just need to find someone I can trust to do the job right the first time. Good Luck, Jim

GrandpasFord

Thanks for the info Jim.
My father-in-law is a pretty good body person and will be working on that aspect of the effort (The "I" was really a "WE" and should have mentioned that). I am more of a drivetrain kind of guy. 

However, I will look around for that DVD since I would like to be aware of what can be done and should not done. If at anything, this will help me pick up some things along the way and know what is going on.

Eddy
Eddy White
57 Ford Custom 300 2-door (Tudor)