News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

learn something new every day

Started by hiball3985, 2017-02-11 07:57

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'm probably the last person on the planet to learn this but I never knew Ford had alternators as an option starting in 1949. They were available in 30, 50 and 100 amps. I'm guessing they only ended up on police/taxi models? This is the parts page for 56-59 model cars.

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Yup, my 57 Ford service manual has alternator info in it as well as the electrical/vacuum manual.  My 58 Edsel factory service manual also has alternator info.  The Ford book says heavy duty service.  I expect that might mean police/taxi?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I would have lost money on that bet! Cool to know. :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-02-11 08:28
I would have lost money on that bet! Cool to know. :003:
I almost did  :005: What blew me away was the 49-55 but I don't have a page for them, they must have been 6V?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Wow!..That's pretty interesting Jim......
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Now that I know that, I'm going to have to wonder what I forgot I knew today.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

What Jim says X2.
   I remember them first hand  on the 55 - 6 volt and 57 - 12 volt Mass State Police cars that we had.   They also had a funny looking thing that looked like pieces of metal sandwiched together mounted up by the radiator.  We used to call that a rectifier.  It looked more like an oil air cooler.   We never had any problems with them, but that was back in the old days.

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-02-11 10:52
   What Jim says X2.
   I remember them first hand  on the 55 - 6 volt and 57 - 12 volt Mass State Police cars that we had.   They also had a funny looking thing that looked like pieces of metal sandwiched together mounted up by the radiator.  We used to call that a rectifier.  It looked more like an oil air cooler.   We never had any problems with them, but that was back in the old days.
Jay, from what I understand they were a rectifier with a heat sink. Were they mounted on the front side of the radiator support for cooling?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
   I do believe that they were some sort of a heat sink for those early Ford 1950's alternators.
Jay

Jeff Norwell

Man..I gotta keep this tidbit  of info for the hardcore traditional 25 year olds that will tell you Alt. really never came until the early 60's.....ha ha ha
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

slumlord44

I picked up a neat factory brochure last year at a swap meet for '57 Ford Police and Fire vehicles. They list the alternator as an option. New to me at the time. Also the chrome side trim was slightly different than what is on the production cars.

djfordmanjack

Does anybody own one or have a pic of the actual item ?

Hoosier Hurricane

I believe those were built by the Leece-Neville company.   John

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-12 05:11
Does anybody own one or have a pic of the actual item ?
I was hoping when I posted this someone would come up with a picture. I've never seen one.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    My memory is a bit foggy, but I remember that they looked like a generator.

I clearly remember that the 6 volt ones were huge compared to a normal 6 volt generator.

The 12 volt ones were larger in appearance also as I recall. 

They had steel cases and didn't look anything like a modern aluminum alternator.

I also remember that they had a big electric harness going into the rectifier.   Jay