News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gratuitous Y Block pic

Started by Swank, 2018-03-20 23:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

Hope i'm not making a giant paper weight.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Marc

Nice! Are you planning to run a PCV system? If so save yourself some trouble and just remove the road draft tube now.

junior58

I got rid of my road draft tube, the garage smells so much nicer now after the car has been for a run.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Swank

Planning on keeping the draft tube for now, ...it might change my mind later on.  But so far ive scrubbed it all out nice and shiny and got a bright blue new screen for it.  I'll see how it goes.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Marc

I don't remember where I heard it, but there was a problem with the new road draft filters being a bit too tall. The extra height would prevent the cover from sealing properly, leading to a leak. Just something to watch for.

djfordmanjack

beautiful work on this Y block. Is it a full rebuild or a sympathetic restoration?

Swank

Thanks, djfordmanjack.  It ended up being more of an unintended detour towards a full rebuild, without actually getting there.  Was only going to freshen up some gaskets and make sure it wasnt sludged up.  Found that previously someone had dropped a carb checkball down the intake and it beat out a piston.  HoosierHurricane set me up with an almost-new old stock piston (thanks again) and at that point, everything ended up coming apart, getting scrubbed, and is now close to being put back.  New bearings and various consumables, etc, everything else '57fomoco. Hopefully i didnt leave my watch inside that thing. 
Marc, i did notice the new draft filter was a little tall, i just flared that chicken wire part out a little and it seems to sit pretty good and tight.   I'll keep an eye out for leaks around there though, thanks for the heads up.

Heres what it looked like at the end of last summer.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Marc

Wow, she was well lubricated!