News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering pump choice?

Started by Limey57, 2017-04-29 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

My Ranchero has a "Wurth-it" rack conversion which uses (I think) a GM power rack.  I have a 1979 302 with vee-belt pulleys and I need to sort a P/S pump and brackets to suit, I haven't got one yet.  Anyone suggest what pump is best to suit the rack, I'm getting LOTS of conflicting information, some say I have to be careful with pressures, some say a Saginaw is best, etc, etc.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

I recently saw where GM pumps are higher pressure than Ford almost across the board. GM rack, GM pump would be my guess.
Lynn

gasman826

You are correct in being cautious.  All pumps are NOT created equal.  The '57 PS pump has a 700# pressure relief valve.  But the same looking system on a '63 Galaxie has a 1100# relief valve.  Pressure as well as flow rates vary all over the place.  I built my R&P similar to the Wurth-It design using a Caviler style rack.  Since I used a Cardone remanufactured rack, I called their engineering support number.  This guy was very helpful.  He said the rack had a working pressure between 2100-2500 psi.  So I asked more questions.  I am using the Ford style hydraulic brake booster with the matching Ford pump (all off a '76 Lincoln).  He looked it up and that system also runs in the 2100-2500 psi range.  I just lucked out to have pieced together a matching system from two different manufacturers.  So if you are going with new, aftermarket pump and brackets, ask the manufacturer for the specs and/or recommendation.  If you are going used, I'd look for a 5.0 engine on a vehicle with R&P for brackets and pump.  Fords typically run lower pump pressures but vehicles with R&P have similar pressure.  I have nearly 10k miles on my Custom and love the steering ease and response (even with the reduced turning).

RICH MUISE

I also have the r & P with the cavalier rack. I was told there would be no problem with the oem pump that was on the 4.6 (95 Lincoln Mark VIII) and there have been no issues.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe