News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear brake drums

Started by rar1947, 2017-05-01 10:35

Previous topic - Next topic

rar1947

So here is the chipped drum and the reason I?ve been looking for a new one. What do you guys think, is this big enough to cause a potential vibration? I know it may be hard to see but it?s up on blocks right now for some additional work. I?ve researched a lot on vibration and wanted to eliminate the easy stuff first but finding a replacement has proven difficult.

rar1947

One more picture

Tom S

Quote from: rar1947 on 2019-04-23 21:21So here is the chipped drum and the reason I?ve been looking for a new one. What do you guys think, is this big enough to cause a potential vibration? I know it may be hard to see but it?s up on blocks right now for some additional work. I?ve researched a lot on vibration and wanted to eliminate the easy stuff first but finding a replacement has proven difficult.
With that close up pic & at that angle it's kinda hard to tell how big the chunk is that's missing. Since it's already up on blocks could you pull the drum for some more pix?
Find a machine shop to check & balance it?

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-04-23 08:16After finding the one tire out of balance I returned to the friendly shop yesterday to have the other three checked and two were quite a bit off :005:. I didn't have enough time left to get it on the freeway so that will happen later this morning  :burnout: As bad as most of our freeways are sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a road or a car problem..
Good grief! I'm guessing that you won't be going back to the shop that balanced them in the first place.
I haven't been in Calif. for decades but the roads were real good then.  They still have to be much, much better than ours.  Weather & studded tire use in the winter cause lots of problems with the asphalt.

hiball3985

I'm not sure that the chunk missing would cause much vibration being that close to center, myself I would change it just for general principle. Hopefully some will have one somewhere.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

looks like another crack on the picture