News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E Code vac and fuel lines.

Started by Ecode70D, 2017-06-02 15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm running WCFB carburetors on my car with no problems but would like to replace them with the so called Ford teapot units.   I am requesting pictures of how and where the vacuum advance lines and fuel lines are routed.   Notice in one picture that there is a small line looping  up in the air on  the right of the  forward carburetor.   Notice also that the air cleaner has an indentation in the same area which I presume is for that line. 
    Would someone please explain what that is and is it the vacuum advance?
    I would like to get it looking somewhat correct when I start making up the respective lines.  Pictures are going to be a huge help.       Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Jeff Norwell

Why in God's name do you want the Texas flaming tower? ??? ??? ...... do you hate your car now?......
What did that sweet 57 ever do to you?

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

rmk57

Theres an article in Hemmings called "E-code encounter", goggle it and it has a few detailed photos of the engine compartment with the air cleaner on and off.

Nothing cooler than a e-code Custom!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Jeff
         Yes I have heard that some people call the teapots Texas flaming towers.  I just want to try them and make a decision.   I could also use some more vacuum to run my power brakes.  I think that the teapots have a vacuum port.   Not very sure because it has been a long time since I saw one.

Thanks RMK57
     I'm going to try to get into that site right now.

Ray

I restored an e retractable a number of years ago. I'll look up the photos. I am currently building an e convertible. Felix Natoli (natolibird on e-bay) can provide you with everything you need (fuel, vacuum, distributor advance, etc.) but the heat riser lines right now. I think he could make them as well but I have not asked him. On the subject of burning carbs, most of the fires were caused by owners not maintaining their ignition, when the dwell got to far out of line the motor tended to backfire. Since the fuel bowls (vented) were above the venturis, usually a carb fire followed. I drove that retractable for years without any problems, along with the 20 years of driving an f code t-bird. As for the ignition issue, if you use a pertronix or some other electronic ignition system you should have no problems at all. PM me if you need help.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

thomasso

Ray,  Here's some photos of my factory E Code.  As you can see I have installed electric chokes, although the hot air chokes worked fine I couldn't get them synchronized to my satisfaction.  A pressure regulator has also been added, a must with these teapots.  Yes the looped up line is the vacuum advance, no idea why it is shaped that way.  The quarter inch pipe plug rear of the carb bases are vacuum outlets. I teed mine together as I used a period aftermarket brake booster, Airtex, and wanted as much  and balanced vacuum as possible. Plus my added PCV system is also connected to the teed lines.  The odd 1/2" pipe sticking up by the front carb is PCV pipe from side of block to air cleaned, fabricated.  Whole system works fine although carbs needed sorting out.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

thomasso

I must have did something wrong when posting pictures. Trying again.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

thomasso

Still doing something wrong

thomasso

I'm getting better, a couple more.

Ecode70D

Ray
     I sent you a PM.
thomasso
     Those pictures are answering a lot of questions.   In tracing your fuel line, it looks like the fuel comes in on the left, them crosses over between the front and rear carb, then goes  to the right slightly under the rear carb and hooks up to the back of the rear carb..   Is that right?
      I also notice that you are using both vacuum ports tied together for your power brakes.
Jay     

thomasso

You are correct.  The PCV is also connected to the vacuum although not visible in picture.  My air cleaner does not have that indention.  Be aware that T Bird air cleaners are different and Tbird carbs are mounted backwards.  If you need more pictures ask.

Ecode70D

Thomaso
    I had heard that the Thunderbirds had the carbs hooked up backwards.  Hopefully the pics that you posted are not for a Tbird .   It has been many many years since I set my eyes on or played with a Ford teapot carb. At the moment I don't have one in my possession.   Hopefully within a week or so I will have at least one of them to get me more orientated.   It's great to know that they have a PCV port on them.  That's a plus.    Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: thomasso on 2017-06-02 20:49
Here's some photos of my factory E Code.   Yes the looped up line is the vacuum advance, no idea why it is shaped that way. 

Does someone have any idea why that vacuum advance line is strangely  looped up like that?  It must have been important because  Ford even went through the trouble to put an indentation in the air cleaner for it. 

hiball3985

Jay, I haven't dealt with a teapot in 50 years so my memory is really bad but if I recall they used two different model carbs for the front and rear. The loop sends me for a loop  :003:

Also the teapots for 57 were different from earlier models. They used a different vacuum port for the vacuum advance, the earlier models were ported for the Load-A-Matic  distributors.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

I don,t think the indent in your air cleaner is for the vacuum adv. line, but rather for oil cap clearance.  As you can see the adv. line is further back and is attached to the rear carb.  Could your air cleaner be a 56 or perhaps Mercury?  As I said mine does not have that indention.