News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Making a Custom into a driver

Started by terry_208, 2017-06-22 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I purchased the hood mentioned in post:  http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7312.msg62728#msg62728.  I actually got a different hood than I mentioned in the post. There were a couple small dents slightly more than rock chips and the inner support panel had surface rust.  I selected this one as it was cleaner. I have a friend, a retired body man, who offered to take care of it for me.  That is, remove the dents and put it in epoxy primer.  I really need to update this post and show my progress which is extremely slow.

edit:  This hood also has a couple small dents from the inside.  Perhaps something was left on the air cleaner when the hood was closed.
Terry

terry_208

Lesson learned!  The selection of the hood was not good.  As it was being unloaded I saw a small crack in the very edge of the hood.  Not really a bad deal, yet.  I removed the broken hood ornament to find 3 dents caused by an impact of something with the ornament.  Will find out in a few days if it was a bad deal.   
Terry

RICH MUISE

As long as the hood is not tweaked, the repairs you mentioned seem minor. Good it's just going to be in primer so you can fit check it before paint day.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

A very brief update.  I've been working on this project but very slowly.  I'll have to again study how to post pictures as I've forgotten how to post more than one.  I am reluctant to resize them as I can't, and it's me, save them in original size after resizing them. 

As stated previously, I installed the 59 frame horn supports.  I hope I put them on the correct side and not backwards.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Terry..after you resize, don't click "save"............ click "save as" from the file menu or the pop up when you right click.and input whatever you chose to name it...I usually just add "resized" after the original tag. The "save as" will save your resized pic without changing the original file. After you do that, then click "do not save" on the original file/pic you downsized. The resized pic should show up next to the full size in the folder if you just added something after the original tag as I mentioned..

djfordmanjack

Rich is right.
With saving a resized pic I just add an 's' to the og pic name, so I know every pic that I resized and posted.

fdlrc

I enjoyed the pictures of your frame off. Mine was a 3-speed (no OD) car with 3.89 gears. I put in a OD tranny and went with 3.70 gears. With the new OD tranny, I'm thinking I would have been happy if I'd stayed with the 3.89s. The 3.70s work very well though.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

terry_208

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-11-30 12:10
I enjoyed the pictures of your frame off. Mine was a 3-speed (no OD) car with 3.89 gears. I put in a OD tranny and went with 3.70 gears. With the new OD, I'm thinking I would have been happy if I'd stayed with the 3.89s. The 3.70s work very well though.

I have more pictures to post once I get it figured out again. 

Back in the day, I pulled parts out of a wagon for my sedan.  One thing was the rear axel,  Luckily it had a 3.70 gear.  It ran quite well with a Mercury 312 with an afb carb, backed by an  od trans.  For the life of me I cannot remember what gas mileage I was getting.
Terry

terry_208

I will try again to post a pic and give an update on my build.

The first photo shows what I found after pulling the brake drum.  The 30 minute brake job on the rear axle required 4 hours.  I can't believe how slow I've become!

The second photo shows the headliner or more concisely the lack there of.
Terry

terry_208

I had the backing plates powder coated, cleaned everything then installed new wheel cylinders and shoes. I also had the drum turned before installation.

After removing the headliner bows, I cleaned the inside of the top and sprayed it with a product called ZeroRust.  This product, they say, is not only a sealer but also a rust converter.  I'll try to edit and post a picture later.

well, I was able to post one pic.  Just ignore the stuff behind the curtain.  I used it as a drop cloth and left it there to help with dust/dirt.
Terry

terry_208

As stated previously, reply #18, the front crossmember was damaged.  The welds between the top cap, the flat portion welded over the top of the U shaped portion, had been ripped loose.  The top cap was raised about 2" off it's manufactured position.  I used my bfh to return the top cap to it's proper position.  I then clamped it tight and stitch welded it.  I don't know how the Veterans Day flag got on here and I can't remove it to post the pic of the repair.
Terry

djfordmanjack

Just posting a few pics of Terrys progress on his 70A. looks great and very tidy imho!

he says:

Quote from: TerryThe first pic shows the dash installed.  The second and third show the side panels off the rear seat bottom.  It's easy to see why I replaced them.

The first pic is of the emergency brake assembly.  I'm still trying to figure out the last piece on the right.  I know it goes on the end of the assembly but can't figure it out.  I probably messed it up.  The second and third pics show the panels I fabricated and installed on the seat springs.

QuoteI found this tag attached to the right side of springs of the rear seat.  I never took the time to de-code it.

djfordmanjack

Terry, this pic of my 57CS floors shows where the clip/bracket goes to hold the actual emergency brake cable fitting to the front floors.

concerning the seat tag. Like we talked before. pretty sure the 2-57 means it was made in February 57.
If I recall correctly our cars are just a few days apart and both assembled in March 57. My car also has lots of February and Marhc date matching stamps all over, so most probably this is the original seat base to your car.

terry_208

I am trying to figure the best or at least how others have routed the trunk releases.  I have an electric release and also want to install a manual as a backup.  I plan to run cables through the ribs/supports in the trunk lid. 

How have others solved the problem?  Does anyone have pictures to go with the descriptions?   

Thanks for the assistance.

Terry
Terry

RICH MUISE

I'll try to get some pics later today.