News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hardware

Started by lotsafords, 2017-07-05 15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsafords

Does anyone have a line on a supplier for all of the nuts and bolts for the 57.  Would like to replace all of the exposed bolts and screws for hinges and and tailgate retainer as well as striker plates.
Hoping to find someone who packages  hardware by application.
Thanks
Jack

Ray

Kinda varies depending on vendor. Aveco makes the body bolts and nuts (black,  as original) Dennis Carpenter seems to have the greatest variety of other fasteners although Concours and Larry's stock them as well.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

Where I could, I replaced all my hardware with Stainless Steel. The advantages are obvious, but they of course not to oem specs if that's what you need.  Bolts like the flanged 5/16-18 fender to wheel well bolts had to be ordered (Fastenal), but most else was picked up at a local bolt company (Amarillo Bolt). A bolt company will probably be 25% of the cost of Lowe's (or less), etc.
Just something to think about.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I like to use the stock fasteners when ever possible.  They have held tight for all these years.  I de-rust them, shoot them with self etching primer then a light coat of "cast iron".  When using them to reassemble they get a liberal coat of anti seize.  Having "played" with Fords all my life I have a very nice collection of hard ware.

Might be called a little "anal" about that....the 58 Edsel front clip has 135 nuts/bolts holding it together....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-07-06 07:31
I like to use the stock fasteners when ever possible.  They have held tight for all these years.  I de-rust them, shoot them with self etching primer then a light coat of "cast iron".  When using them to reassemble they get a liberal coat of anti seize.  Having "played" with Fords all my life I have a very nice collection of hard ware.

Might be called a little "anal" about that....the 58 Edsel front clip has 135 nuts/bolts holding it together....

I am with Bill on that for sure...I have quite a bit of Ford fasteners..I clean then,repaint and store...My wife rolls her eyes....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lotsafords

I have to admit the thought of counting all of the nuts and bolts used to put a car back together has never crossed my mind.  Thanks to all for ideas.
Jack

djfordmanjack

there is nothing that matches oem hardware. put them in the acid cleaner, paint or have them replated. they are terrific in looks and function!

lotsafords

I don't disagree the original pieces are the best but I have some that are damaged to the point that I would be embarrassed to have them on the car.
Jack

Randyh

You can also check AMK Products, they have some of the required fasteners.  Use the originals as your reference and not the Parts Manual.  What the parts manual calls out does match what is on the car in many instances.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: lotsafords on 2017-07-06 13:10
I have to admit the thought of counting all of the nuts and bolts used to put a car back together has never crossed my mind.  Thanks to all for ideas.
Jack

I never did until I realized the size of the pile!  Just couldn't believe how many of them there was so I just had to count.  Yup the ones that are really rusted hit the recycle bin.  Good thing I have a large "stock.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II