News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

electrical temp guage

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2008-06-29 20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

has any 1 hooked up a electrical temp guage in our 57 fords, if so, would u tell me how, or is mech better?,  thanks    Jerry

FORDNUT

If you get 14 responses to the question of which is better, you will get 14 opinions. Mine is that I always use electrical; I like the ability to hide the wiring and if you buy a quality gage it will be accurate. The instructions will be included in the kit.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

geraldchainsaw

should have said i want to keep the orig guage hooked up,   and 1 i can count on,

geraldchainsaw

update,   changed from a mech to electric temp guage,  i didn't like the dial on the mech & the electric #'s were more to the center,    what i did was tap a hole in the thermostate housing, in the front by the water hose fitting theres a flat spot big enough to drill & tap a 1/8 pipe tap,  and the hook up is rather easy,  a ground, wire to the sensor and a wire to  egnition switch,    & hard to see any of the work i did,

57 Ford Kustom

Jerry
   If you taped the hole in the thermostat housing and run a thermostat it will read correct while it is open. There is enough meat in the intake maniflo on the left side just behind the thermostat housing for a 1/8 pipe thread. I run a sensor there for the electric fan.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

geraldchainsaw

Tom,  your right, its only good after the thermostate  opens,    & i'll bet your the 1 that told me about the drilling and taping  a while back,  but i didn't understand just where to tap it at, so i let it go,  but the heating thing got to me,  and i started things all over again,     while were at it on the highway it gets up to about 200, is that a problem?  jerry

57 Ford Kustom

Jerry
   200 degrees is about the top of what I would want to see. 50% antifreeze and a 7# radatior cap will put the boiling point about 220 dregrees or better. I run a 160 degree thermostat, with a 4 bladed fan and the stock gauge goes up to about 1/3 going up the Maine coast in summer traffic it goes up to about 3/4 but the elec fan does not come on.

geraldchainsaw

hi Tom,   1 last maybe 2 questions,   right now i have a 13 lb presure cap on the rad,  what do i gain by using a 7 lb?,  or is it just a relief thing?,  as to the thermostate i don't know what i have in there right now,  i guess it wouldn't hurt to take it all apart one more time,  it does have a pin hole leak right now at the thermo  about 5 drops of water in 50 miles,   but after i find out about the 7lb cap,    and then i'm all done,   thanks,   jerry

57 Ford Kustom

Jerry
   If you have the original radiator still in the car it was designed for a 7# cap. Sometimes a higher cap will start to disform the cooling tubes. a lot of people have used 13# caps with no problems in fact you go to a parts store and ask for a 7# cap and they will look at you funny. What do you have for a fan?? 3 blade or 4 blade. My son has a 57 with a 351W and a aftermarket flex fan found with a stock fan engine ran cooler. I am not a fan of aftermarket flex fans anyway.