News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

460 swap in country sedan (motor mounts)

Started by 57country, 2011-03-09 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

The water pump is readily available but pulleys and brackets are harder to find.  I had a mechanical fan on mine but with power steering and air, the pulleys are much too close to the fan blades.  Big difference between running one belt and three.

glenmichael

I used Crites motor mounts, transmission crossmember / mount, and their headers (2inch) tubes, to put a 460 in my 57 custom 300 ( Woody mostly ).. The project went well. The car has 15" wheels, stock front end, the lowest header tube is 3.5 inches above the pavement.. just my 2 cents, have fun..

Lgcustom

glenmichael can you get a photo of your crossmember installation? I have the same Crites parts and wonder if mine is installed correctly. I may have put it in too low which pulls the back of the motor down.

rmk57

The height of the transmission mount is really limited by the trans and trans tunnel itself. My trans (C6) is mounted as high in the tunnel as you can get it, I even ground
off part of the two outside ribs on trans case so I could gain a bit more clearance to get the carburetor pad to sit level.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

For the C6, I modified the tunnel rather than weaken the back of the C6 case.  Lighter duty C6 cases are available without the ribs.

glenmichael

I started a post here titled 312 out 460 in, I think the end shows a good picture, I can look to see if I have more of the install..

Lgcustom

Thanks. I found your photos. You installed the lip on the end plates over the top of the frame. I put mine under the frame. That was my mistake. It works, but the engine is tilted down slightly which causes the fan to not be parallel to the radiator. Now I can't fit a shroud over the fan. I have the Crites radiator and shroud, but haven't been able to use them. What I did was get an Afco radiator which turns out to be the same size. Then cut the Rad support to move it forward and was running a clutch fan from a '68 Lincoln. Now I am using an Afco electric fan and shroud. Now that I have added a/c I'm having cooling issues. The 2170 cfm 16" fan just can't move enough air. Still searching for a larger fan that will move more air. Anyone have suggestions?

gasman826

Quote from: glenmichael on 2018-05-31 12:20
I started a post here titled 312 out 460 in, I think the end shows a good picture, I can look to see if I have more of the install..

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6410.msg53670#msg53670