News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dome light door switch

Started by rmk57, 2018-02-23 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Was the dome light door switch optional for customs? My dome light comes on from the headlight switch as it should but not when opening the doors. There was only one wire leading up to the dome light and I would think there should be three? 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Marc

Pretty sure they were standard equipment but I could be wrong. Should be a black and a green wire running to the dome light even with the door switches. Have you looked inside the door pillar to see if the wiring is still there and someone just removed the switches?

terry_208

My Custom had no wiring in the A pillars for the switches and only one wire to the dome light. 
Terry

rmk57

Quote from: terry_208 on 2018-02-23 12:22
My Custom had no wiring in the A pillars for the switches and only one wire to the dome light.

That's exactly what mine has. My door switch button has two wires leading back to the headlight switch. I'm not seeing how this is going to activate the dome light with the
door open, unless it goes through the headlight switch somehow and it's not functioning as it should.. The passenger side is wired the same way.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

I didn't know that the light switch had the option of later model cars where you could rotate the knob to the left and turn the dome light on. The wiring diagram is self explanatory but the schematic shows about all cars. When driving I always used the switch on the dome light to turn it on. And, the dome light still works during the daytime unlike the backup lights. I just figured they used the light switch as a connection only for dome and courtesy lights.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

suede57ford

You have to add the wires to make dome lamp work off the door switch in a Custom.  The Dome lamp on the higher end Fords have two wires up through the headliner, but you could use the original single wire if you just want them to work with some door jamb switches.   CGFordParts.com has reproductions of the wire kit.   I add the harness to all my Customs/RanchWagons as it is so much nicer at night to have the light come on when the door opens.  LED dome lamp bulb helps too as does adding 66 mustang style kick panel lights.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429