Looking at a Custom 300 Tudor for sale...need some advice

Started by ScottG, 2018-03-30 22:03

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

90 minute drive isn't much at all when you're looking for a classic car, but I like driving, lol.
You seem to have a good understanding of the basic "put-together" of our cars, so, I'd have to agree with you that it's highly unlikely, but there's always a first for everything I guess. I'd be totally baffled by his "I can run my hands on the inside of the outer rockers" as you are. The inner rockers are just a verticle piece of flat sheetmetal (as far as what you can see from the underside). They do have a 90 degree lip on them at the top, about an inch or so wide if I remember. The forward floor supports have a 90 degree end to them that is welded to the inner rocker. It would be scary to think somebody just deleted them. Can he email a pic to you?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

inners and outers replaced

ScottG

Thanks for the picture. It just confirms my thoughts that the floor supports would have no 'landing pad' without inner rockers.  Apparently early 50's Studebaker coupes were put together without inner rockers although their floor supports were different and nested into the outer rocker curvature.  So, while I guess it could be done, it would require fabricating some provision for tying in the the floor supports which would be more work than just replacing the inner panel.  Unless, of course, the floor supports weren't reconnected....

I thought about asking for more pictures, but I think I just have to see this in person.

djfordmanjack

Scott, in any case the 90 minutes drive is well worth it. you get to look at an actual car, talk to an actual person and firsthand inspect those problem areas. the rustier it is the more you will learn from that inspection, where to look at the next one. if it is a good one, you can still buy it or negotiate on the price, according to the actual condition it is.
Regarding the inner rockers, of course these were designed to tie everything together and give the body some strength. I have been discussing that topic with a member on here, and he left the inner rockers off as well, for good reason. I believe it works great ( never again will dirt or moisture be trapped inside) and look at that sturdy (chassis) frame. I believe that one problem could occur when lifting the body off and it might be more prone to twisting. but once on the chassis I don't believe it would be that much weaker.
older driver quality paint can be a major bonus, depending if you like to drive your car daily or even take it to the super market or home improvement store and hauling stuff, kids or family around. Once the paint has its share of little dings and scratches you won't have to worry about any further.
Who knows, maybe it is a nice car, that some loving PO put new rockers on and he drove it frequently, because it is such a nice driver.
You should go check it out. after all, there's nothing better then meeting car people and checking out a future project. :002:
Guenter

CobraJoe

I'm new to the '57 scene but been playing the car/truck game a l-o-n-g time. 90 minutes is more than worth it, no matter what the condition of the car is, the knowledge you gain by looking at different versions/conditions of the same vehicle is something you can't teach. Even if the car is not to your liking at first glance, crawl all over it and digest as much knowledge as you can. I came very close to driving the 860 miles to see the car I bought. I must say, even though the bank sent someone to inspect the car and take pictures, there were many sleepless nights until it arrived. I also have to admit, this is the first "finished" vehicle I have ever bought in my 58 years on this earth; for that, I blame my wife. She insisted I wasn't getting any younger and needed a "better" canvas than what I usually use to build upon. Take the other half and make a time of it, take her out to a nice dinner and enjoy the day. Good luck.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ecode70D

Quote from: ScottG on 2018-04-01 02:12
Interesting to hear about business coupe conversions. 
Also, thanks for the clues to help check for a possible "swap" from business coupe to Tudor.  However, could you clarify the comment on the inner wheel well having a rubber boot?  I'm having trouble envisioning what you mean by that.

-Scott G.

This is what the boots look like on the inner wheel wells.