News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

TWO Batmobiles...???

Where did George get 2 Lincoln Dream Cars ?

CobraJoe

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-08-11 02:31
TWO Batmobiles...???

Where did George get 2 Lincoln Dream Cars ?

DJ, George actually built four and it was even stated specifically in his contract that "...BARRIS is authorized to construct such copies of the Batmobile vehicle as FOX and GREENWAY may approve..." The original was a customized Lincoln, the other three were not.

They were created in November '66, when requests for local appearances were pouring in from all across the country thanks to the show's popularity. The producers were eager to accept as many requests as possible, which was impossible for a single car that was already committed to duty as an on-screen presence. So a few "stand-in" cars had to be created. The replicas were created by making a mold of the #1, then using that to make fiberglass copies to be mounted on extended Ford Galaxie frames. Because of the way they were built, the cars share a number of features. For example, all three have tilt noses, limited interior detailing, and non-functioning trunk lids. At the same time, there are enough differences between them to make each car unique:
The first replica, known as the "#2" car, was powered by a 390 V8 and had neither exterior door handles nor headlights. Its beacon was a cylindrical unit with 8 slats, and it originally had a red/red light set on the canopy arch. It is currently owned by Dr. Dave Anderson of Virginia, USA.

The #3 car was also powered by a 390 V8, though it had a manual transmission at first that was changed over to an automatic to match the other cars. It has both headlights and exterior door handles, but the door handles are for show only. It has a 12-slat cylindrical beacon and its canopy arch light set was originally amber/red. For several years it was missing its rear canopy, but has since been restored and is now part of the Pat Hart Collection in Washington, USA.

The #4 car was the dragster, and was specially modified for speedway exhibitions. It was powered by a 427 V8, and had non-functioning exterior door handles but no headlights. Its beacon and arch lights were a near match for the #3, though the order of the lights was reversed to red/amber. This was likely the only replica used in an episode of Batman, before it was modified for drag racing. These modifications include a drilled rear canopy (to prevent blowout) and a longer exhaust nozzle for the afterburner. It is currently owned by Doug Jackson of California, USA.

There were a few others "Batmobile clones" that were not built by Barriss. There were really only four "official" Barris-produced cars: the #1 Futura conversion, and the three fiberglass replica exhibition/show cars.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ecode70D

Joe
     How do you can keep track of all of that information?   I only remember little pieces of it.
Jay     

CobraJoe

If it is something that I stumble across, I save the info with the pictures, or at least save the link with them. Sometimes I have no info when I save the pic and reverse image search it and can find some stuff that way. Other times, it's just a picture I thought was cool and have no info on.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

RICH MUISE

Which Barris?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-08-12 10:58
Which Barris?
Is there more then one? I use to go by there when they were building it, I never saw the other three..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-08-12 10:58
Which Barris?

George, he did have a brother Sam that worked with him into the 50's.

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-08-12 11:08
Is there more then one? I use to go by there when they were building it, I never saw the other three..

Wow Jim
       You remember going by the Barris shop when they were building the batmobile.  That has to be real cool.

Did they allow you to go inside also?

djfordmanjack

we need to hear the story Jim, that is real cool ! we all need to pay respect to Barris and how he built so many show and movie cars, while some of them were not really beautiful. loving the Munster coach or the Monkeemobile. But really the early showcars of the 1950s were among the most beautiful cars ever built. Sam's chopped green Merc must be the ultimate car of the genre. it's so beautiful.

Jeff Norwell

Ahh..George Barris...... He was like the Weird Uncle of Hot rodding!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

The "Futura" aka "The  one and only Dream Car"

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe