News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

LOL! Nice analogy on the scoops!  :003:
Shinoda was of course Knudsen's guy. They both slept in bow-ties at night. No idea why the 429 survived intact. The '69's were already heading for production in the base model I believe wen they came on board. Might be off on that bit something rattling around in the back of my mind seems to be saying I had heard that somewhere.
Neither of them was around very long I know that.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

I wonder how the Shinoda Boss Mustang of the mid 90s came about, maybe Larry Shinoda came back to Ford?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Dunno...he died in '97.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Another bit of trivia, Knudsen went on to design the German ( Cologne ) built Ford 'Knudsen' Taunus, from 1971 or so. It looked a bit like a scaled down LTD ( on the snout).

fdlrc

The blue two-door has a nice stance with its tires and wheels. Attractive, I like it.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

rmk57

Here's another I should never had sold. Bought it in around 1976, so I would have been around 19 years old. Very well optioned car except for the standard equipment wheel covers. Also the placement of the antenna, most were on the passenger front fender.

As far as 69 Boss 302's not having scoops and Boss 429's with them it may have had to do with when Shinoda was hired by Ford. Besides the 302 being his personal project Boss 429 production started in early January 69 while the 302's started middle of April 69. I think he was hired in early 69, maybe not enough time to make the changes. I personally like the side scoops and the 69 body style with the 4 headlight grill a little better than the 70.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hemidave

Nice '55
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Any info or side pics on this, Joe? I assume it's a concept Thunderbird?. Trying to read the out of focus license plate.....looks like "the performer"??  Looks like a cross between a 67 Dodge Charger and a Camaro. Clean lines looks like something I'd really like.....just a different color.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I prefer the '69 with the scoops and quad lights too. Only first gen Mustang to have the 4-eyed front end. It looked much more "muscular" to me than the '70.  JMHO.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

there you go Rich.  It's rather a Ranchero with a T bird styling grille. I think it s cool.

QuoteFord?s Saucy ?69 Show Truck: The Ranchero Scrambler

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/fords-saucy-69-show-truck-the-ranchero-scrambler/

CobraJoe

Yes, the Ford Scrambler, 1969. A concept truck based on a Ranchero

"The American car show scene was red hot in the late 1960s, and Ford Motor Company answered the call with a nifty custom pickup for 1969, the Ranchero Scrambler.

As the youth and performance scene blossomed in the late '60s, the car show circuit became an important marketing theater for the Motor City carmakers as they charged off in hot pursuit of younger, image-minded buyers. One eyeball-grabbing effort from the Ford Motor Company was the 1969 Ranchero Scrambler, and we think the look still holds up today, all things considered.

The Scrambler earned its name, we can safely presume, from the twin Rupp Scrambler minibikes stowed in the pickup bed-a feature that was guaranteed to catch the attention of teenagers on either side of legal driving age. Well played, Ford Motor Company. Based on a production Ford Ranchero, the Scrambler featured extensively customized sheet metal, with a tunneled rear window glass and a restyled front doghouse that was shared with another Ford show car that season, the Fairlane-based Super Cobra Sportsroof.

Under the familiar Shaker hood scoop was a 428 CID Cobra Jet V8, coupled to a C6 three-speed automatic transmission with its console-mounted shifter nestled between a pair of black vinyl bucket seats. Goodyear F60 Polyglas tires rode on Kelsey Hayes Magstar 15x7 wheels borrowed from the Shelby Mustang parts bin, dressed up with custom center caps wearing the Ranchero longhorn emblem.

After a debut at the 1969 Chicago Auto Show in March, the Scrambler was then displayed in the truck section at the Detroit Auto Show (below) and other venues throughout the year. What eventually became of the Scrambler is unknown to us, but at some point it reportedly wore a NASCAR-style King Cobra nose before it finally disappeared for good. Too bad. We think the Scrambler would make a tasty and distinctive street rod today-with or without the matching minibikes."
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Thank you Joe and Guenter. Yep, I still like it, although it still screams 68 Charger to me. 428 must have made it a heck of a drive.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

terry_208

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-09-29 07:32
Thank you Joe and Guenter. Yep, I still like it, although it still screams 68 Charger to me. 428 must have made it a heck of a drive.

My first thought was the front looks like a cross between a 68 Cougar and a current Challenger. 
Terry