News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveSevenLiter

OK, here is your history lesson.  The Fraser Valley had a big tobacco industry in the early 30's.  When our family settled here tobacco and hops were the big crops.  I attached a picture of the drying kilns in Sumas Prairie, I remember them well.  There are two left out there.
http://www.yarrowbc.ca/settlers/tobaccoindustry.html

Now with the popularity of micro-brewers, they are going hops out there again.

As far as the picture, from my sleuthing it is tobacco, and my bet it is in the Connecticut region.
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

Tobacco in Canada? Really? I never knew that, and would not have suspected it. Wouldn't think the heat was high enough nor long enough. Just goes to show...an old far...er...ah...old dog yea dog...can learn something new! LOL!!!

Thanks!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Interesting...I never would have guessed either. Thanks
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

The movie Parrish (1961)

In the Connecticut River Valley, Parrish McLean and his mother are newly employed by the Sala Post tobacco farm that is engaged in a competition war with the neighboring Judd Raike tobacco corporation.

"Parrish is a 1961 American drama film made by Warner Bros.. It was written, produced and directed by Delmer Daves, based on the 1958 novel of the same name by Mildred Savage. The music score was by Max Steiner, the Technicolor cinematography by Harry Stradling Sr., the art direction by Leo K. Kuter and the costume design by Howard Shoup.

The film stars Troy Donahue, Claudette Colbert, Karl Malden and Dean Jagger, with Connie Stevens, Diane McBain, Sharon Hugueny, Sylvia Miles, Madeleine Sherwood and Hayden Rorke. The film marked Claudette Colbert's last role in movies.

The film shows the story of conflict between a young, independently minded man and his stepfather, a ruthless tobacco tycoon.

Young Parrish McLean and his mother live on Sala Post's tobacco plantation in the state of Connecticut. His mother marries Post's ambitious rival Judd Raike, who then sets about ruining Post.

They were growing Connecticut shade tobacco extensively visible in some scenes.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

And it is things like this tid-bit of info that we all ejnoy...that cause me to make propositions like the one I did about you leaving without notice.  :003:

Thanks for the info buddy!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

hemidave

'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

FiveSevenLiter

Full points for Parrish.

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

Oh I love the purple Sedan delivery!!! The tilt nose has been an idea of mine for years. Wish I could chat with him and see how he did it. He didn't cut the fenders...which so many do. They are intact and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Beautiful car! Any more pics?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Usually, the only way you can do it without cutting the fenders, is making it so the whole knows pulls away from the firewall and then tilts up

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

mustang6984

Right. I had a buddy once who did it with a 54 panel truck. He used a pair of Mustang convertible rams from a '66 I think. But I long ago lost touch with him. And I do not even remotely remember what he did. It's the pulling the nose forward thing that has me scratching my head.
I figured I would have to mount the fenders and then sit on a stool and look and think about it once I get done with the move. I can't see the entire assembly in my mind, so thinking about it when I am driving across country just makes my head swim.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

The way I've seen it done, is with two pieces of square tubing one mounted to the chassis one mounted to the nose, with a slot so a pin can slide and stop. You simply pull the nose forward until the pin stops it and then tilts.

Something like this:

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,

rmk57

It's got a rat motor in it, so I dont like anything about it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

OH SHT...I never even saw that...sad. Guess I need to track down the current owner and buy it...so can fix the defect...I have an extra FE block and a second tri-power...could cure the disease!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Jimmy Thompson ran this 1940 Ford for Marion Cox in the 1957 Modified race -Mike Cox Collection

'96 Bronco,
'39 Ford Coupe,
'57 Fairlane,
'68 Torino GT
'15 F150,
'17 Escape,