News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane front drum brakes

Started by chapingo17, 2018-06-08 05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Want to know what is the max inter diameter I can have on a stock front drum brakes.

hiball3985

I think you can only go .060 legally ( 11.060 ). I've gone a little bigger without any problems..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

max discard equals 11.120"...stamped on the drum

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2018-06-08 09:02
max discard equals 11.120"...stamped on the drum
Thats interesting, even the shop manual says .060
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

I did a rough measure with the measuring tape and get 11" I also have an issue car pulls to the passenger side bad when I brake. I balance, rotate new tires, align. I keep adjusting the drivers side brakes to adjust for the pull. Full suspension rebuild Does anyone know what would be diameter on a new front drum?

gasman826

max discard diameter stamped in the drum takes precedence.  pretty tough to measure without a drum mic.  Pulling not likely caused by drum size.  Sometimes the drums wear on a taper so under light braking might have initial pull and less with hard braking.  If not pulling during normal driving...not likely front end parts or adjustment.  If brake drums, shoes and hardware in good condition and correctly installed, I would look into hoses and wheel cylinders.

hiball3985

Air in one cylinder or a partially frozen cylinder can cause a pull also.. Have you bled the brakes?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

And the hard lines........especially if original. When I was driving mine as an original worn out beater, it would pull so hard to the left under braking, I got so use to it I could navagate left curves in the mountain roads with the brake pedal, lol. When I was tearing mine down for restoration, I found the rear brake line on the passenger side rear axle housing was squished closed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

I have replaced the main brake lines, rear brake lines both tires, front brake line master split line, front rubber brake lines to tires. I bleed front driver side brake fluid came out. All brake parts were replaced.

junior58

When you say "full suspension rebuild" did that include upper wishbone inner bushes. Has a 58 Edsel Bermuda wagon that had a vicious pull under braking, found inner bushes were knackered allowing the arm to move under braking.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

CobraJoe

Most drums allow for a maximum wear of .090 from the diameter stamped on the drum. You should never cut a drum or rotor past 0.60 though, as you need .030 for wear after installation. In other words, once you reach .060 before turning, it should be discarded as there is not enough material left to safely use.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

chapingo17

I have a quick update on my brake issue. I found out when I replaced my brake shoes I bought a set up brake shoe hardware from an newer ford vehicle. Found out I placed a new really tight spring on one side of the front brake shoe assembly. I install an old oem spring problem solved.