News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stock brake upgrade

Started by chapingo17, 2018-07-03 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Currently I'm running stock brake parts on my 57 Fairlane. From reading old an posting I know I could upgrade master cylinder dual reservoir from a 1968 Mustang? I was also reading the same post that I could run 14" disc brakes from a Ford Granada with spindle replacement? If anyone has any other suggestion on how I could improve my braking system on my 57 Fairlane.

hiball3985

Just a suggestion but I would look at an after market disc kit that uses the stock spindles. I used the Granada and wish I never had. As far as braking it's fine but plays hell trying to get a good alignment.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

chapingo17

With this upgrade would I need to replace the original rims I have?

hiball3985

I believe they require 15" rims or Granada rims. I tried locating Granada rims once with no luck. The center hole on the stock rims don't fit most disc hubs..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

It's not only the center hole. I checked just for grins after I installed my front discs and the oem wheel was hitting the caliper as well. Mine is the Granada kit. I wasn't aware of any alignment issues caused by the Granada spindles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17

If I happen to find Granada rims could I use stock wheel tires on rims?

Jeff Norwell

Yes.. you need a Granada rim.... getting hard to find these days.....I have switched out to a 15 on my cars..... easier to find a good tire and when I do a disc brake...they clear the callipers and hardware.A local friend did this to his Merc Marauder..... but he runs a 15 inch Astro supreme..... he loves the conversion.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-07-05 22:13
It's not only the center hole. I checked just for grins after I installed my front discs and the oem wheel was hitting the caliper as well. Mine is the Granada kit. I wasn't aware of any alignment issues caused by the Granada spindles.
I found that I can't get the + caster I want without loosing the camber, I think a few others found the same. Aren't you having issues of chewing up the outer edge of the tire? Maybe there is a solution for that I have overlooked.. I know you lowered the rear of your car so that probably helped with the caster, mine is at stock height in the rear..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yes, I'm told I do not have the amount of castor(caster?) that I should have with the rack and pinion setup, but I thought that was an issue with the oem location of the upper control arms, not a spindle problem. I don't really know, just trying to digest info from others. My alignment guy is really good, does all of the classics/hot rods here in town, but is not really a modified suspension guy as a hot rod builder would (should) be.
Not really chewing up the outer tire edges as much as evenly wearing them out prematurely. I'm pretty close to 20k miles on the tires, so not a horrible situation by any means.
My rear end after fiddling with handling issues ended up at stock height after lowering. The new 6 leaf springs had raised it 1" above oem height. I may take the lowering blocks back out as I think after 20k miles, the rear spring have settled a bit.
I can't find the alignment specs he had set my car to.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

You are right in a sense. The OEM upper control arm location is good for OEM spindles but all that changes with the Granada spindles and there is were the problem is. The spindles also lower the front of the car and that causes more negative caster.. If you try adding more positive caster as I wanted to do also it throws the camber off. I have new 6 leaf springs in the rear but they are starting to settle which helps a little. Just my opinion but some years in the past someone decided using the Granada spindles/brakes was a cheap way to get better braking but they probably just put around town and don't drive 80-90 on open roads like I do  :003: With little caster it's just not as stable as I would like it..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang