News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door lock tail piece

Started by hiball3985, 2018-07-18 18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

My left ( drivers side ) door lock never worked, I finally dig into the problem and the tail piece is missing. If someone has an extra or a link to a supplier I would would appreciate it much.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Looked, but couldn't find the ones I remembered seeing some years back that wereaftermarket..maybe machined and welded?
Concourse has a NOS left side for 60 bucks. Don't ya hate that??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I didn't check Concourse but that seems like a rip off to me  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yep...about 12 times the price of new ones for 55-56

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-07-19 06:52
Yep...about 12 times the price of new ones for 55-56
It must be gold plated  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BBoswell

I have the complete door handle to door lock piece for a drivers side 300 2 door but I don't see any piece that looks like that.

cokefirst

what year and body style is this for?
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

RICH MUISE

He's looking for one for his Ranchero, but I do believe any model will work for him except the "station wagon". I can't verify this, but I think when you read that wagons are different (longer I believe), the only thing that makes sense to me would be  the Country Squire model not working because the key lock is in the "wood".
Bos...........the part he is looking for is not a part of the latch, it is attached to the outside key lock. It attaches on the back of the tumbler housing and goes to the latch

RICH MUISE

I just wanted to mention that the left and right tail pieces look very similar or identical, but in fact they are not and will not function correctly if switched. Ask me how I know.

hiball3985

Quote from: BBoswell on 2018-07-22 21:58
I have the complete door handle to door lock piece for a drivers side 300 2 door but I don't see any piece that looks like that.
The piece goes into the end of the keyed lock cylinder. It fits between the cylinder and the door latch.
I believe Rich is right, works on Ranchero, Customs etc but not wagons..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Wagons no different than Ranchero or Custom (I don't know about woody).  I used salvaged Custom piece in my wagon doors.

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2018-07-23 07:02
Wagons no different than Ranchero or Custom (I don't know about woody).  I used salvaged Custom piece in my wagon doors.
Thats strange, my friends wagon, it's a 4 door Ranch no wood and we compared them and they are longer then mine?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Oh yea!  The kicker is that there is more than one size.  I had several that were all from Customs and a few were different length.  Think this has been mentioned in other posts.

hiball3985

It sure gets confusing, I was thinking maybe 4 door vs 2 door models?????

Later today I will go measure the lock/striker location 4 door wagon vs my ranchero.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

When I did mine with tails I had found at a swap meet, the tailpiece on the driver's door was a tad too short, which would be strange in itself since the Customs are suppose to be the shortest. However, I was using a 57 Mercury nos door latch modified to work on my Ford, so I contributed the "short" tailpiece to the fact I was not using a Ford latch.
There is a simple easy fix to use tails that are just a tad too short. my tailpiece reached the latch, but was not long enough to actually go thru it. I found the solution in my household plumbing box. The clear 1/4" tubing you use to plumb your refrigerator's icemaker uses a brass  shouldered sleeve that fits in the end of the tubing. The id of that sleeve will slip over the legs on the cast tailpiece, and the OD of the sleeve is a thumb press into the hole on the latch that the tailpiece passes thru.