News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4 Wheel Drum Brakes, Self Adjust

Started by Ranch, 2018-08-03 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranch

If I can I'd like to make my brakes on my 58 Ranchero self adjusting.  Can I just get the lever, cable hook, cable guide and spring off the brake tree at NAPA or do I need to know something else?    Thanks guys in advance

gasman826

might need the adjusters too. 

59meteor

As mentioned, you will need the adjusters too, the older non self adjusting starwheels have fewer, and much larger teeth than the adjusters used with self adjusters. IMO, I have never found self adjusting brakes to function anywhere near as well as touted. Even on 1 year old cars (that still have rear drum brakes), I routinely have to adjust the brakes to get the brake pedal nice, and the park brake travel good.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

58 Edsel had/has 4 wheel self adjuster brakes.  In the Ranger/Pacer series the brakes were 57/58 Ford based except the wheel bolt pattern.  Look up the info/parts for them and you'll be good to go.

Self adjusters require backing braking followed by a forward braking.  The adjusting is accomplished when the shoes re-align themselves when moving forward.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ranch

Thanks guys
    I'm aware of how they work and the procedure to follow.  I know the lever and adjuster have to be oriented to the proper side.  It's just that not having any old parts to go by that I am wondering about the length of the hook/cable and spring.  It's easy when you have the old parts to compare, not that I've ever had to replace those parts on any of my cars I grew up with.  Was hopeing  that someone might have first hand knowledge of changing over  11" Drums all around.

Thanks again        Bill

Tom S

See this.  http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=4225.msg27996#msg27996
Saw someone else here recently had the same issue of no room for the spring. Can't find his post now. Fix that first, it's easy enough to do.

Tom S

RICH MUISE

We've missed you, Tom!!!!! Good to see ya back.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Tom
    It's good to hear from you again.  I hope that you have been keeping well and stay in touch. 
Jay

Ranch

Thanks guys for your support. Tom, thanks for the links, wasn't aware there might be a binding issue with the cable end on the anchor post, seem to recall the eye of the cable was big enough to go back to where the shoes made contact and not interfere with the springs hooking on.  At least now I know that there are kits out there.       Bill

Tom S

Ranch, sure, the eye of the cable fits just fine. But understand that even as thin as the eye of the cable is it's just enough to make it so there's not quite enough room to get that 2nd spring to stay on that on that same stud. Not a surprise that I wanted at that point.
You gotta grind out some space on the inside of the round end of the stud. Do it before the shoes are on.  Used a cutting disk on a Dremel type tool.  Started with a 4" angle grinder but that was a bit clumsy & was cuttin' more, & nicking more things than I wanted. :o
Also I'd make sure that I got the cable for the same diameter brakes so it ain't too long or too short.
It wasn't a kit, just got the parts for the self adjusters in person at NAPA, including the star wheel with more teeth than non-self adjusting brake star wheels.

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-08-05 07:12
We've missed you, Tom!!!!! Good to see ya back.

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2018-08-06 02:39
Tom
It's good to hear from you again.  I hope that you have been keeping well and stay in touch. 
Jay

Thanks, Rich M & Ecode/Jay. Ya caught me. Been tryin' to keep quiet since I've been gone so long & embarrassed 'cause my ratty '58 'Edchero' project has gone nowhere. Felt like I had nothin' much to contribute.
Just been lurkin here for a couple months since I bought a purddy 'new' '57 Ranchero out of Portland. That's another story but I don't know where to put it.

hiball3985

Glad you are posting again, when people go missing it makes us wonder what happened. Nice looking Ranchero, tell us more about it. I noticed your mirrors are mounted like mine were, the previous owner was an idiot and you could only open the wing window about 1/2". I finally had to change them to a GM type  :005:...  But you probably don't need them opened as bad as we do down here..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Tom
     That's a good looking Rancharrow.   Oops I meant to say Ranchero.   HAHA
     Just curious,  How many months of the year do you actually get to take a nice car like that for a drive?
Jay

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-08-09 08:31... Nice looking Ranchero, tell us more about it. I noticed your mirrors are mounted like mine were, the previous owner was an idiot and you could only open the wing window about 1/2".
Hiball, As far as the mirrors go I never open wind wings. Probably stems from having cars that ended up with bad wind wing seals & wind wings that don't close tight enough. I remember stickin' an empty match book behind the latch in order to keep the wind wing closed tight enough that it doesn't make a lot of wind noise.  I could open these a bit, it would clear the mirror, but I ain't gonna do it.  Tried once & it was very hard to open so just gave it up.  Don't wanna force it.

I'll get around to telling you all about this Ranchero but there's no doubt that it's gonna be mostly a long rant about the things that are wrong with it. And like I said, I'm not sure where to put it,  especially after being AOL for 5 years. I now see a Members Rides section, so maybe that's where it should go. What do you guys think?
For now I've just posted about why I couldn't lock my doors & what I learned about left & right door locks. http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7579.msg64907#msg64907