News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Carburator

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2018-08-28 20:34

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

I finally ordered a new carburetor this evening. I have ben wanting one a long time but my autolite was doing pretty good until this week. I wanted a Holley but I also thought a 500 cfm was what I need. Holley didn't have what I needed in a 500cfm but Summit had a 500 with electric choke and vacuum secondary and a fair price. it should be delivered in a couple days , hope it runs good.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

hiball3985

I haven't used a summit myself but the few guys I know who have seem to like them, no problems that I have heard, they are built by Holley..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Barry, Did you order this carb?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08500vs/overview/
Up until now the only new carb I've ever bought was one to replace the completely untunable oddball one on a motorcycle. Ordered the Euro version. Much better.

I want to replace the 2 barrel on the 390 in the Ranchero I recently bought. I ordered the 600 cfm version that just got here this afternoon. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs
These carbs appear to me to be an improved & enhanced version of the Motorcraft/Autolite 4100 four barrel. I'm very familiar with those and & the 2100 two barrel ones.
I like them a lot better than the Holley carbs.  Much, much easier to work on.  From what I've read & the vids I've seen these are great carbs. Pretty much bolt on & go.

Yesterday the Edelbrock Performer RPM 4 barrel intake manifold I ordered showed up.  I was surprised to find it on Amazon.  Was even more surprised that they shipped it here for free. "Free shipping" almost never applies to Alaska.  Saved me the 72 bucks for shipping that I thought I'd be paying Summit.  The carb from Summit was $32 for shipping.
Provided I can get off my butt & get it done the swap to a 4 barrel ain't gonna happen until this winter when I won't be driving the Ranchero.
The carb is all shiny & pretty too.   :002:

BP57CUSTOM

Yes Tom that's the one I bought , It ran good right out of the box. I have not touched any of the screws (yet). I have not had time to drive it yet ,I had to re-bend my hard fuel line. I don't like rubber lines. I had a little trouble getting my accelerator rod attached, had to do some rigging. It has the electric choke and removing the heat tube (choke) from the intake manifold left me with an open hole in the runner on the intake. Do you or any of the other readers know if this needs to be closed off and how to do that?
Good luck
Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Tom S

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2018-08-30 20:53... removing the heat tube (choke) from the intake manifold left me with an open hole in the runner on the intake. Do you or any of the other readers know if this needs to be closed off and how to do that?
No, it doesn't need to be closed off, it's a blind hole.
What engine did you put the carb on?
And what's wrong with your Autolite 4100? Hey, if you don't want it just send it to me!  :naughty:

BP57CUSTOM

Its a 312"  , it wasn't running just right and I have a trip coming up pretty soon and didn't want to go thru it right. I will keep it and probably rebuild it some time. Your are right the summit is very similar to the autolite. I got free shipping from Summit on it but had to pay sales tax about a wash LOL.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

DanTudor57

Really nice to see this topic. I'm about to order the same carb -- was thinking through the 500 vs 600 cfm models.

At this price point, and included options,  its better than the professional rebuild quotes I was getting on my old Holley. Its also an upgrade to electric choke, and multiple vacuum ports.

junior58

I have also been thinking about getting the Summit carb so it?s good to hear the positive feedback.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

KULTULZ

Just a note -

The SUMMIT CARB being discussed is a copy of the earlier HOLLEY 4010/4011 (GOOGLE). HOLLEY discontinued the carb (was for aftermarket use) for whatever reason and destroyed all tooling. Someone bought the rights (as I understand it) and made some design changes and that is the SUMMIT carb. I believe it is cast in CHINA but assembled here.

The FORD 4100 was designed by HOLLEY for FOMOCO (1957). So what the SUMMIT carb is, is a cross between a FORD 4100 and HOLLEY 4150 using the best of both designs.

The above is open to interpretation and correction(s).

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

DanTudor57

I ordered it, its coming in Friday, just in time to bolt it and a new gas tank in for my birthday. Opted for the 500 model. While I have a 312 -- which according to the builder has much bigger cylinders than original -- the engine ran way too rich with a 600 cfm holley. Multiple attempts to get it running correctly by multiple 'experts' never panned out. Anyway I can't blame my brother for not recalling the exact specs on the rebuild. It has been over 30 years and less than 5000 miles.

I hoping for decent MPG on the freeway.

hiball3985

I don't know what we would call decent for our 57's?. My last 300 mile round trip I got 17.3 mpg. But that was driving 75 mph between Ventura and Lompoc so I wouldn't get run over  :003: Other trips were I drove 60-65 I got 18 mpg.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BP57CUSTOM

I have only driven about 100 miles since putting on the Summit and I am well pleased with it. Made some adjustments to the electric choke and the fast idle. I have not checked the mileage yet but I have a road trip in about nine days and will check mileage then. I was getting 15mpg on the autolite.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

DanTudor57

I got 13/14 mpg on a trip to Fresno with this car -- 312, 3 on the tree Custom Tudor. That was a slow gentle drive.

Same trip in my Country Sedan I was closer to 20/21 - 292, 3 on the tree w/ overdrive,  G-heads.

Converting the Tudor to a T5, so the new carb and 5 speeds will help. Typical commute will be Ventura to Santa Barbara. It is a 70-75 mph straight away... As HiBall3985 mentions:  you have to really hustle to not get run over on this stretch.

Just hoping it resolves the drivability issue I had with the Holley.

SkylinerRon

RE; Autolite carb

Ford didn't own Autolite in 1957, it was part of the Bendix/Fram/Allied Signal conglomerate.

Autolite held the patent on the annular boosters which made the great drivability of the carb.

Holley couldn't use them until the late 70's when they made a lot of 4 barrels for Ford Trucks with annular primaries and
regular secondaries until F/I took over in the late 80's.

When Ford bought Autolite in the 60's they changed the name to Motorcraft.

BTW, Holley, Carter and Autolite all sold 4 barrels to Ford in 1957. (and 58-59). Same air cleaner and manifold bolt
pattern, all different steel lines.

Ron.

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-10-18 06:46
I don't know what we would call decent for our 57's?. My last 300 mile round trip I got 17.3 mpg. But that was driving 75 mph between Ventura and Lompoc so I wouldn't get run over  :003: Other trips were I drove 60-65 I got 18 mpg.

That sounds like damn good mileage to me.  I may be mistaken but aren't you runnin' a 390?