News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Help Gene Winfield

Started by djfordmanjack, 2018-10-10 13:57

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Guys, one of our boys is in need of help. 91 year old Gene Winfield obviously had an accident while on his recent European tour in Finland. he obviously needs medical bills paid and a safe medical flight back home to Mojave, Ca.
I was honored to meet him just a week ago and wouldn't have bragged about it, but he couldn't be a more hands on car guy than any of us. everybody that has met him or heard of him, please consider making a whatever small or big donation to help out Gene. He really is THE man.
Asked about 57 Fords he had to say 'that they are factory perfect cars and there is not much left to customize them, except lowering, paint and maybe putting a tube grill in'. in his own words, just 10 days ago. he is a totally dedicated Ford guy.
Please help our friend !

https://www.gofundme.com/dr79t-bring-gene-home

CobraJoe

Donation made. I don't know Gene, but if he is anything like everybody else I have met on this forum, I'm more than glad to help.   :occasion14:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Thank you Joe. The utmost I can say about Gene is that he's like Jay or me, or rather we are like him. most probably he's like you as well, a totally dedicated car and especially Ford guy. your help is much appreciated.

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-10-10 17:49
Donation made. I don't know Gene, but if he is anything like everybody else I have met on this forum, I'm more than glad to help.   :occasion14:

Ecode70D

Since I'm not so good with computer stuff and credit cards, I got some help doing the go fund me thing and got something off to Gene today also.   He is in a tough position to be stuck in the hospital Finland.

djfordmanjack

Thank you very much Jay, very much appreciated. So far $90k have been collected by over 1000 people !!! there is a whole lot of smaller if not little donations, but wow, how they add up nicely- it's great !
Mr Winfield is a very kind person and so many friends donating shows that.
There have been some big donations by some of the industry's big names as well as actors and music business people, that he personally told me about were his friends.
Let's hope the best for him and providing a safe transportation back home, so he can build some more nice cars. I hear that he is in the middle of at least 3 personal projects, inlcuding a 1940 Ford Coupe for his wife Laura who also owns a 57 Ranchero.

Jeff Norwell

Wow....I have met Gene several Times and he is such a nice man..always has time to chat with the little guy.I hope he gets better and back on the road.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

An amazing man to be going so strong at his age.......heck, he's old enough to be my father! Still teaching, still building, still traveling. A true insperation. Gunther......how in the world did you manage to have him at your place? You must be very proud of that. Any info on his "accident"? did he fall, car accident, somebody run him over?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Slightly off topic but reading about Gene reminded me of last weekend that I spent at the Eagle Field Runway drags were Ed Iskenderian who is 98 and sharp as a razor told stories all day from the announcers booth.

Wishing Gene well
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Isky is still alive and 98 ?? wow.... those guys are just amazing!

I heard that it was just a bad fall, but broke his hip and needed immediate surgery. When Gene was here he didn't appear to have any serious problems in walking. For a guy of his age and his busy work schedule for 7 decades(!) it is incredible how fast he still is. could pass as a 70 yr old. He said that his whole life he kept away from drinks, drugs, gambling, no coffee. just working on cars is his passion. working HARD that is. I could go on and on talking about him, because he really is a stunning person.

I think the funding goal has been lowered as obvioulsy a cheaper method of flying him back has been found and just a few $ away from the goal. Mr Winfield will need to consult his doctor and then a decision will be made when he can fly back.
I understand that the sort of person Gene is, like most all of us car guys. it will drive him crazy lying around in a hospital bed. He just needs to be able to go out to his shop, early in the morning and build something and his bones will easily heal.
Against some assumptions that I have heard, Finland is a highly developed country with great medical support and I think that's not the problem.

Rich - we'll talk about the where and whens of Gene's visit at my place a little later, when he's safely at home. It sure was an honor to meet him and Laura, and having them and some very close friends of mine here that Sunday morning.

Of course I had to pick him up at the hotel with the 57 ! :002:

Ecode70D

Guenter
     What would have been more fitting to have picked Gene up at the hotel than a 57 Ford? Since his wife has one also, That had to be a big surprise for both of them.  Good thing that you have things recorded with pictures.
      Are you somehow in touch with them?  If so, keep us informed about whatever you find out, especially when he will be leaving for the USA. Thank you JA

djfordmanjack

Jay, I do hear from the Finnish car show organizers, so I will forward the information here as well.

Ecode70D

What is the latest news about Gene?   Does anyone know if he is still in Finland or if he is home yet?

CobraJoe

They haven't updated in a week:

Update 4
Posted by Johnny Good
7 days ago

Thank you everyone for all you have done. We have met our basic transportation needs and are just waiting on the doctors evaluation to proceed further. I am leaving this up and running to cover any emergencies or added expenses that may occur before, during or after the flight. I cant thank you all enough for all you have done. I am amazed at the support that has happened in such a short time. You guys rock and ill update you all as I receive information.

I love you guys and gals,

Johnny B Good
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

I am also waiting for any news. Tried to hear from the Finnish show organizers, but no reply so far unfortunatley.

djfordmanjack

Our young friend Gene Winfield is still in Hospital in Finnland, but he seems to be recovering well and is soon going to get his medical flight back home. I am really happy to see Gene like this and hoping that he will get back to Mojave soon.