Removing the stock Wiper System. Which holes can I weld up?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2018-10-15 05:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-15 19:25
.... does anybody know where the oem washer nozzles were located?

On a '58.  Probably not pointed the right way.

RICH MUISE

That's where I located my aftermarket (chevy) nozzles. Are those oem? If so, Lynn probably was right about the end holes being for washer tubing.
LOL........I'm a bit slow.........the passenger side hole IS how I fed my washer tubing into the cowl.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-15 22:13
Are those oem?

Living in the land where '57-'58 Fords are nearly as scarce unicorns I believe that they are OEM but can only assume so.
Come to think of it, '58 Fords may be even more scarce that '57s here.

RICH MUISE

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-16 00:35
'58's are more scarce everywhere

Maybe because people want to hang on to or save '57s since they are better looking & more desirable than '58s?

djfordmanjack

I think optional factory washer nozzles look a lot like later Mustang items. made from very small tubing and chromed they are held by the cowl vent grill screws and come up across the top of the cowl, under the vent grille ( in a certain spot)  and through the slots and mesh of the grille.

djfordmanjack

I believe the factory nozzles look much like these 1967 Mustang nozzles ( but of course need bent so the will point in right direction angled up to the windhshield)
Anyways I have never paid attention to the two existing holes under the fender corners and Lynn is right it is a great spot to route the washer hoses out of sight rather than having them all over the firewall/cowl. I'll give that some thinking on my wagons. great idea, thx guys !

djfordmanjack

unfortunately this is the only photo I have of the cowl area of my old SD Courier. the washer nozzles and hoses can be seen clearly, although it appears as if they came out through the gap between hood and cowl. most probably not a factory installation.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-10-15 18:36
Those round holes under the fender on my car have rubber plugs from the factory maybe they are for windshield washer hoses? The large round hole with the 4 sheet metal screw hole on the drivers side is an access/inspection hole for the wiper cables, the oval holes have rubber plugs and they facilitate the wiper cable assembly. The triangle pattern holes are where the cable pivot brackets bolt on, the passenger side is on the top of the cowl the driver side is on the firewall face. The heater opening at the top is for fresh air intake with the factory installed heater, it is not used on the dealer installed heater.
Lynn, Thanks..........this pretty well confirms what I can weld up. I'll call you today, as I'm not understanding your comment about the fresh air intake for the factory heater etc.
John

Tom S

:deadhorse:  Well, somebody here must have the original ones. I do see some little chrome things on the cowl vent grill in some of the '57 pix I have but too far away to make out their shape.
These keep popping up in a search but only shown to fit 55-57 T-birds, 66-77 Bronco, 57-66 F100s & 61-66 Econolines. I would imagine that they are the same for our '57s.
You can also buy these at Mac's for about double these prices.
http://dennis-carpenter.com/product.aspx?p=B5S-17666-A&quickorder=true#keyword=%20windshield%20washer%20nozzle&hawktabfield=type_category&type_category=cars&yearcar=1957

https://www.rubbertherightway.com/1957-ford-restoration-parts-windshield-76066-prd1.htm

RICH MUISE

John, the OEM unmodified firewall/cowl has 2 large holes for the heating system. They are separate holes because one is on the firewall and into the cabin area for the heater core, etc., and the upper hole is into the cowl.
The factory heater was more elaborate, and larger, than the dealer installed heater. One feature of the factory heater was that it had a fresh air feature that the dealer installed heater did not. That fresh air was obtained from the cowl, so the factory heater covered/utilized both of the large holes, drawing it's fresh air, when selected, thru the upper hole in the cowl.
When cars left the factory without an installed heater, as many did, they had separate delete plates over each of the two holes. If the car got a dealer installed heater (many did), they only removed the bottom delete plate and utilized the bottom hole. They left the upper delete plate mounted, because as I stated, the dealer heaters did not have a fresh air option.

RICH MUISE

John....I'm anxious to see how that specialties wiper system works out. I'm curious though.......have you tried fitting the defroster plenum with the new specialties pivots in place.

gasman826

The new pivots (transmissions) do not interfere with the OEM defrost ducts.  They do not come inside the car...all under the cowl.

RICH MUISE

John currently has his thru the cowl into the cabin under the dash. That's why I asked about defroster duct interference. I know he bought his car totally disassembled, so may not realize the defrost duct is big and it mounts to the leading edge of the dash's underside.
Gary, does your setup as it is in the pic you posted reverse the direction of the right wiper? It looks like you were able to attach one over and one under, which should do that. That would have been an easy way out for my hard arm system had I had enough room for the "one above"

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-16 10:21
John....I'm anxious to see how that specialties wiper system works out. I'm curious though.......have you tried fitting the defroster plenum with the new specialties pivots in place.
Yes Rich , we ( my friend Tommy and I ) have been working on this, and the very ends of the plenum have been modified to clear the wiper transmissions pivots. At the same time we are mounting a Vintage Air Heat and AC under the dash ......... getting a little crowded under the dash.
John